1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acronis 10 Home Recovery Advice Please

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by wil45, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wil45

wil45 Thread Starter

AMDx2-5400 MSI K9N6PGM2-v2 2GB RAM XP Home SP3 Seagate 500GB drive failed - I have Acronis 10 Home Full Backup on separate HDD Installed new Seagate 750GB drive as C: Formatted with XP NTFS, installed basic WinXP made drive bootable. Put in D: drive with Acronis Home 10 Full Backup .tib file Attempted to recover by over-writing entire full backup on to XP system files - Acronis seems to write a few old AV files in 5-6 minutes and announces recovery complete. It took around 30-40min to make this 3GB .tib file originally. 1. can I recover to a live bootable system in this manner? 2. when I look into the .tib file it shows the complete system, program files, registry, data etc but will not recover them. ----------------------------- Why am I not on Acronis Forum? Because I registered and attempted twice, tried to login w/ two different passwords (one replacement issued by them). I think they are attempting to write some kind of permanent cookie to my FFsandbox on my spare PC and of course it does not work so I get error msg WRONG E_MAIL OR PASSWORD (yes I turned on javascript). So I'm done with Acronis. Maybe totally and literally since their backup seems to be worthless as well. I did recover all my data by freezing the dead drive and copying everything important off of it but that means about 20hrs rebuilding my system. All is not lost - just tedious reconstructing this particular system. What are these acrono-rooskies up to?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I suspect (I hope as it is the only full recovery I have) that it wants a blank drive to write to.
    I will look as my data drive died yesterday on my home machine and I'll need to restore that. Fortunately I keep a copy of most of my stuff on a removable USB drive and a laptop that I'm using at the moment.

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Did you backup all the files on the drive, or did you image the drive?
    If you created an image, you would have booted with the Acronis Bootable Media CD you should have created and restored the image. No need to format the drive, or install XP. This restores the system to the same state it was in when you created the image.

If you just backed up the files, you can only replace Data files; Program Files can be restored, but the programs won't be installed.
    You can't overwrite files that are in use, like the Registry files, so you won't be able to restore programs or drivers properly.

Restoring is always faster as the program doesn't have to compress the files. Takes about 2 hours to create an image of my laptop, but only 20 minutes to restore.

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"Restoring is always faster as the program doesn't have to compress the files. Takes about 2 hours to create an image of my laptop, but only 20 minutes to restore."

My "C" drive has Ws "XP pro" and some 125 programs on it. My data is on a separate partition. Both Acronis ( an old version) and free Macrium Reflect (latest version) make an image copy in about 12 minutes. I don't understand why you have to wait two hours for an image to be made. Is there an explanation?

Just curious and trying to learn from postings at TSG.

{redoak}

5. wil45

wil45 Thread Starter

Thx for your input. It was a recover from a back-up NOT an image in this case. I booted from the Acronis CD and thot it would read the .tib file write all the back-up files to all the appropriate inert WinXP System, Prog and Data folders. I did not boot from the WinXP drive. I guess I do not quite understand how all this works or just expect too much. In business in the "old days" I made proprietary tape backups on XT class POS systems and believe it or not, they usually worked OK.

I do regularly make image backups as well and they usually work. In this case I hadn't quite got around to it since it is a less than 4mo old system w/new drives. I guess I expect too much from a backup to just take a snapshot of a working system and regenerate it. Yes I know the diff from an image which writes a fresh MBR and verifies each sector. I'm not going to be put in this position again. When finished with this reconstruction (I'm half done) I'm going to immediately image the drive like a RAID 1 mirror, and work from the mirrored drive, keeping the original unplugged, while doing all my regular data backups etc. Luckily this catastrophe only lost two days "work" since my last data backup, and I was able to scrape this off the dead drive.

My advice - when finished setting up a new system with major apps and environment and frills configered etc., MAKE AN IMAGE DRIVE OF THE FRESH INSTALL AND KEEP IT IN A SAFE PLACE. Whew!
    I'm definitely sick of these unreliable electromechanical spinning devices. They are compressing to much data on these platters - too much constant ECC seeking, too much heat. In a few months as prices drop I'm going to get SSD 100GB boot drives for all my machines.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Using High Compression, and creating the image onto a network share. 100Mbps network has a throughput of 8 MB/s at best, so transfering a 35 GB image takes at least 74 minutes; longer if the network is being used by other processes. The Wireless connects at 130 Mbps, but since it's half duplex, throughput is 6 MB/s at best, slower than the 100 Mbps wired connection. Then add the time to create the image.

Just did a new full backup to my external. Took 52 minutes, 40.5 GiB image size (three partitions, Vista, Win 7, and a Recovery partition). Took at least 10 minutes before it actually wrote anything to the External drive, wasn't watching it that closely to see when it actually started writing.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If you have a lot of Data in your System Partition .. It will take a long time.
    IMHO .. Acronis is not good for backing up Data .. It is great for Backing up a system.
    I just Copy n Paste as my new data is created or collected…
    And I put it in it’s own partition .. To keep the system partition small.
    It would take me many hours to "Image" my ~300gig of Data .. But not very long to clone a new HDD when needed.

Using Acronis to Image my “small” System Partition .. I only Backup .. or Recover .. To/From a fresh install ..
    It doesn’t take that long to update a recovered system and make a new backup Image for the next time …. While it’s still fresh.
    I can Backup or Recover my System Partition(s) in about 20 minutes .. because there’s no data in them.

Why Pay extra for a huge SSD for a fast system when it’s not needed ??
    Why have backup HDDs and not use them for a bootable system backups also.

I'm waiting on a new computer .. or new Mobo .. That supports USB 3.0 and SATA III ..
    Some of these HDDs are already SATA III(s) .. running in a SATA II system.
    It won't take me long to update my Enclosures to USB 3.0 and move the HDDs to them.

Attached Files:

• 11.gif
      11.gif
      File size:
      39.1 KB
      Views:
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice