1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acronis affecting Macrium backups

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by JonTee, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonTee

JonTee Thread Starter

Hi, the first time posting here for me, but I'm unable to solve the current problem and didn't see any threads about similar issues.

I use Acronis DD10 from a rescue disk to backup a 'C' partition to a USB HDD (160GB) to provide me with a bootable (if needed) partition and to enable me to keep a backup off-site.(The rescue disk was provided by Acronis when DD9 was upgraded and subsequently refused to recognize external USB HDD). I also use Macrium to backup the image partition to that drive since I found problems with TrueImage 2009 recognizing the USB HDD. As a belts and braces, I also have a local Macrium image of the 'C' drive on which I use the incremental backup facility.

However, the incremental backup using Macrium failed on a number of occasions and the Macrium tech desk traced it to the Acronis DD10 changing the disk signature for the 'C' partition from which I make the backup. I saw that the latest version of DiskPart has a facility to change the signature although on WinXP SP3 the only version is 5.1.3565 which doesn't have that feature. So I used MBRWiz /Signature but could not get it to work. MBRWiz indicated the change was made but when I ran Macrium it showed that the signature had not been changed. I was going to attempt to use hex editor but that did not look to be a wise move, for me.

Although I can find a workaround for Macrium by doing a full backup each time, it takes time and I would really like to find a solution to the disk signature problem.[​IMG]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice