Acronis Back up Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kidcnote

Banned
I have a 80 GB external HD and am thinking of doing an Acronis full HD backup in case of HD failure..Now my Q..When Acronis does a full C: backup to my external, will it back up just the 6 GB of info or so I have on my C: drive or will it back up the WHOLE drive (100GB), empty space and all..?? or do I partition out the say 7 GB of the C: and back just that up ? TIA as always..

you probably couldnt get windows to run from a back up if you backed up the whole drive. ans since it is easier to restore programs to a new install of windows i suggest you only back up stuff that can be transfered easily like documents and program stats and such

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Not sure i understand the question fully ... but
If your C: drive is 6 gig occupied - you can make a recovery image of just the contents of the C: drive ...
which will make about a 3-4 gig compressed recovery Image.

No - the empty space is not copied.
Is the 100 gig partitioned ???

kidcnote

Banned
buddhafabio said:
you probably couldnt get windows to run from a back up if you backed up the whole drive. ans since it is easier to restore programs to a new install of windows i suggest you only back up stuff that can be transfered easily like documents and program stats and such
Ok, I have the SP2 disc MS sends you for free so what your saying is incase of HD failure just back up all my programs now and use the new SP2 MS for a clean install...
Thanks..
http://www.pixpond.com/1/1ohzq3.JPG

kidcnote

Banned
Noyb said:
Not sure i understand the question fully ... but
If your C: drive is 6 gig occupied - you can make a recovery image of just the contents of the C: drive ...
which will make about a 3-4 gig compressed recovery Image.

No - the empty space is not copied.
Is the 100 gig partitioned ???
Thats what I needed to know..Acronis only just backs up the info it see's
and no , my C: isn't partitioned..
Thanks

crjdriver

It will also not include things like the page file in your image. This is recreated by windows when the system boots.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
kidcnote said:
Ok, I have the SP2 disc MS sends you for free so what your saying is incase of HD failure just back up all my programs now and use the new SP2 MS for a clean install...
If you have to recover a new HD using Acronis .. it will recover your system exactly the way your system was when you made the backup Image.
This includes all updates, settings ..etc ... you won't know the difference.

crjdriver

I really cannot say enough good things about acronis; from cloning disks to bare metal restoration their software just works. It has saved me many hours of time.

kidcnote

Banned
Noyb said:
If you have to recover a new HD using Acronis .. it will recover your system exactly the way your system was when you made the backup Image.
This includes all updates, settings ..etc ... you won't know the difference.
Thanks much NOYB - Thats peace of mind as I've done tons of reg tweaks and usually keep all my programs up to date and would never remember all of them if my HD took a crap on me..:mad: Thanks again.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The only problem you will probably run into … Your 100 gig isn’t partitioned.
If you store lots of Data in the C: partition - then your system backups will start getting large.

I like to keep backups … the last 3 levels deep just in case one of my system backups has a problem I haven’t found yet.

My W-XP OS is in one small partition by itself - then the stored data is in a second partition on my main drive.

This way – My XP system can have a several backups without duplicating the Data which is backed up separately as needed …. All in one external HD.

kidcnote

Banned
Noyb said:
The only problem you will probably run into … Your 100 gig isn’t partitioned.
If you store lots of Data in the C: partition - then your system backups will start getting large.

I like to keep backups … the last 3 levels deep just in case one of my system backups has a problem I haven’t found yet.

My W-XP OS is in one small partition by itself - then the stored data is in a second partition on my main drive.

This way – My XP system can have a several backups without duplicating the Data which is backed up separately as needed …. All in one external HD.
To tell ya the truth, I've never partitioned or even knew why you would partition..I've just always had all my stuff on C: and it's stayed around 6GB's..So thats my new Question to ya'll. Whats the main reason to partition ?.. For safety ? Easier to get to stuff ?? Speed.. If the HD takes a doodie, then how will partitioning help then. Won't it all be lost ? :confused:

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you don't have alot of extra stuff stored in your C: drive - then you have no problem.
Over the years - I've collected over 100gig of stuff that I like to keep in my computer in another partition.

As I am now ... I can recover my 18gig XP Media Center system in about 10 minutes.
The data could be added to my second data partition - later as needed, when there's something on TV that isn't a repeat.

If you aren't a Pack Rat like me ... then you have no problem and don't have to worry about partitioning.

kidcnote

Banned
Noyb said:
If you don't have alot of extra stuff stored in your C: drive - then you have no problem.
Over the years - I've collected over 100gig of stuff that I like to keep in my computer in another partition.

As I am now ... I can recover my 18gig XP Media Center system in about 10 minutes.
The data could be added to my second data partition - later as needed.

If you aren't a Pack Rat like me ... then you have no problem.
Thats one of the reasons I got the 80GB external, so's not to clog up my main puter C: :p

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online