1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acronis TI boot disk can't find backup location

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Stephen47, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

I made an image of my hard drive on a USB drive. When I boot the computer from the boot disk the USB drive isn't listed in the window where I am supposed to select the location of the .tib backup file. Why not? I have done this before and the USB drive was listed.
    Edit/Delete Message

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Have you "expanded" the My Computer part of the options so that all drives show?

3. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

yes I have. it isn't there. Here is another thing. This is an older notebook computer with USB 1.1 I have a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card that I use with it. Just to try something else I booted with the USB hard drive in a 1.1 slot and the it was listed. Why isn't it recognized when hooked to the 2.0 card?

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Sorry, I'll step out the way & let someonelse advise you.

Richard

5. nessyguin

nessyguin

When you created the image did you do it through the PCMCIA card or the onboard (1.1) port ? Either way it sounds like TI didnt copy the PCMCIA driver files (or Enhanced USB 2.0) when compiling the boot CD .

6. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

I used the PC card when I created the image. One more thing, I tried this a couple weeks ago and when I booted from the CD the USB drive was listed. I didn't complete it because of other issues not related to Acronis. now it doesn't show up, If I use this disk to boot another computer that has a 2.0 USB the drive is listed. Perhaps I should make another boot disk?

7. new tech guy

new tech guy

What i normally do which works is to turn on the external hd first before powering on the computer. Another idea is to hook the device to the same port that it was connected to when the image was created. At that point, BIOS should find the device through its legacy support and thus acronis will identify it. Basically, load the disc into the pc and power off completely. Then while off plug in the usb hard disk and power the hard disk on. Once powered on, proceed to boot the system with the cd already in the drive and boot into acronis normally. At such point the drive should list and you can restore.

8. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

I haven't had a chance tor try this yet as my son took his computer somewhere. I think I tried booting in all combinations of drive on, drive off etc.
    Stay tuned.

9. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

That didn't work

10. new tech guy

new tech guy

Have you simply tried starting the restore through windows?

11. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

I can't do that. I am trying to restore it to a new hard drive that has no operating system

12. new tech guy

new tech guy

I would hate to sound silly but it would be best to ensure you have the correct hd and also make sure the image is atcually on the drive. I know it sounds silly but somthing during creation could have been overlooked. Also, another thought is to possibly remake the disc as drivers could be missing from it. If still no joy another workaround i found to this is to use BARTPE to make a boot disc containing acronis. As long as you have the bartpe plugin added to your setup you will have it there. Let me know if you want to try this route.

13. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

Which hard drive are you referring to? The new one or the USB hard drive? The new one is the right one and I have used this same USB hard drive to do this process before. When I created the image I used the verify tool and it said it was there. The file size of the back-up image is the right size also.I have BARTPE how do I make a boot disk that contains Acronis? I might as well try this route. If all else fails I could just use the 1.1 USB drive and let it run all night.

14. new tech guy

new tech guy

Well, you just told me the problem with it, yes i was referring to the usb hd. And how you stated that last post it sounds like you installed a USB2.0 upgrade card on the pc and are trying to restore using 2.0. Problem is that your disc probably does not have those drivers somehow. If it works ok on the 1.1 port just use that. In any case, to make a bartpe disc with acronis what you do is go into the setup (using your install cd) and use the advanced install configuration. At that point it should ask what components to install. What you do is select to install the BARTPE plugin and let setup do its thing. Then just build the bart disc with PEbuilder and when the cd loads (load the system with the external drive already connected and powered on) i beleive its under the disc management submenu of the go button. I would personally for now just use the 1.1 port in your case and worry about the cd post restore.

15. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

Ok I'll just go with the 1.1. Thanks for the help

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice