1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

acronis true image 10.0

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by b1ffyi59, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. b1ffyi59

b1ffyi59 Thread Starter

Hello
    I created a secure zone on a USB external hard disk and backed up my internal disk on that secure zone. When I check that USB hard disk,I can't see that secure zone.
    How can I reboot my computer in case of a failure of the internal disk or a virus that I couldn't remove?
    Thanks

2. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

You boot from the bootable cd you made. Don't worry that secure zone is there it's just hidden and protected but Acronis will be able to see it.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I wouldn't have made a "secure zone" in an external ...
    But made a full Recovery .tib image ... and put it in a folder in the external.

It's my understanding that a Secure Zone is primarily to be used for placing a recovery in your main HD ... in a safe place.
    This will be worthless if the HD crashes or you want to replace it.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Personally, one of the few features that I dislike with Acronis True Image is the Secure Zone. Too "fiddly" and prone to misunderstanding. It also really serves no useful purpose IMO. Unless you're stupid, a simple image file is just as secure, and it takes less space, doesn't complicate the disk structure, etc.

5. b1ffyi59

b1ffyi59 Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers.
    I will try to remove that secure zone and only back up my computer on that external drive.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Now, If all fails .. You'll be able to insert the Acronis boot disc .. and turn on the computer.
    Acronis will load to RAM and boot ... Then you can tell Acronis to recover the C: drive from the Backup **.tib recovery Image in the external.

About how many gigs of Data do you have in your C: drive ... not counting the OS ??

7. b1ffyi59

b1ffyi59 Thread Starter

Hello
    I have about 2.5 g in the C drive excluding windows XP pro chinese
    I have about 4.0 g in the D drive excluding windows XP home english
    then I have a E and F drive in which I keep program files and my documents.
    all total I have about 20 gig that I want to back up.Now I have backed it up in the external hard drive in the secure zone.
    Thanks

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

The real purpose of the Secure Zone is to create a FAT32 partition with the Acronis software and your backups in it that is hidden from Windows. It is intended to be used as a boot source when your normal Windows is not available for some reason.

The problem with it is that it is difficult to access in order to do routine checks on its health. I ended up creating the zone and then assigning it a drive letter so that I could run chkdsk on it.

Because of its unusual structure, partitioning tools and other disk tools may not work correctly, including those from XP like fixboot and fixmbr.

But for external drives that you don't plan to boot from, or even are unable to boot from, the Secure Zone is really not needed and can actually become a problem if your normal recovery mechanism doesn't work and you want to move the image you made to another location.

So it's probably better in the long run to create a normal folder or partition on the external and just keep your backups there so you can also access them from other sources if need be. Other tools will also see it as a normal partition and won't end up doing damage.

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

An Acronis recovery file is compressed and will be about 60-70% of the size being backed up.
    So, your 20gig contents will be manageable.

Something you may want to think about .. and another reason for not using a secure zone …
    I like to keep several versions of backups.
    One, is my original fresh install after it’s been updated, loaded and configured the way I like it.
    Then, I usually keep the last two or three backups of my operating system … Just in case I backed up a problem I hadn’t discovered yet... (this has happened)

If my C: drive also contained all my Data … This would be a lot of redundancy and result in huge Acronis recovery files.
    So .. My C: drive only contains my operating system and installed programs.
    And .. I have another Data partition that holds over a hundred gigs of Data.

All my Data is backed up in my external(s) as just copies.
    Then I can place my C: drive backups as just Acronis recovery data files (***.tib) in another folder in my external.
    My Acronis recovery files are only about 8gig … And I can backup or restore my C: drive quickly.
    If I need to recover (or rebuild) my Data .. I can do that as time permits or as needed.

If I understand correctly … you said your installed programs are in another partition.
    This can complicate your “system” backup/recovery procedures ... and I don’t think that’s a good idea.

10. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I am joining a group of experts, I know. But I'll throw in my "two cents."

I have my OS and programs on "C.]," as has been recommended and by others, too. I have my data files on another partition, as recommended.

I use Acronis to copy "C" to an XHDD. What hasn't been indicated is using "Cobian Backup" to put the data files (whole partition in my case) on the XHDD. CB is free and regularly recommended here at TSG.

{redoak}

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why not use Acronis on the data drive, too, so you get a compressed image?

Or just use the Acronis file and folder backup functionality?

12. redoak

Elvandil: Thanks for the suggestions. I just haven't explored all the "modes" within TI.

On the other hand, I like being able to bring up my "saved" data partition from the XDD and be sure it is what it is supposed to be. I look for a recent file addition within the folders, which I "eye-ball" for completeness, too.

Furthermore, I don't have a space problem and don't ever anticipate that it will arise.

{redoak}

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

I understand that using a huge program like Acronis for occasional backup of data may seem like too much., I've never used the file and folder backup within Acronis, but I noticed that they added it.

14. redoak

"E--": I am using ver. 8, so the mode may not be available anyway.

Yesterday I was glad I had used Cobian to backup my saved download "exe" files. I am on a temporary computer (see sig) and wanted to install Cobian. I found the installation program easily when I connected my XHDD to the temp computer. If I had an image backup that would not have been possible.

A cousin has a favorite expression, "To each his own."

Thanks for all the help you provide here at TSG. I peruse several forums and a few selected Threads each day to enhance my "smarts," and I see your moniker all the time, along with others who post assistance/advice on a daily schedule.

{redoak}

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't think that option was in 8, so you really have no choice. It just seemed easier to use the one program, but if you don't have the option, so much for that. It's not unusual for me to use just one aspect of a program for one chore and a different one for another.

Suum quique.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!