Acronis True Image 11: should I upgrade from version 10?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

OM2

I've got True Image 10.
Generally happy with it.
I wanted to know: should I upgrade with Ver 11?

I can't see what new extra's it has over the previous version.

I've had a look.
And can't figure what the differences are!

Any replies would be useful.

Thanks.

OM

mrss

New features per Acronis

"Test new software or browse the web in a protected, safe environment. At the end of the session, you decide whether to keep or discard the changes made to your system."

"Use Acronis® Drive Cleanser, File Shredder and System Clean-up utilities to protect your privacy by safely destroying sensitive data, cleaning up your system, or securely wiping the entire hard drive."

For 29 bucks, I believe I'll eventually do the upgrade.

OM2

mrss said:
New features per Acronis

"Test new software or browse the web in a protected, safe environment. At the end of the session, you decide whether to keep or discard the changes made to your system."

"Use Acronis® Drive Cleanser, File Shredder and System Clean-up utilities to protect your privacy by safely destroying sensitive data, cleaning up your system, or securely wiping the entire hard drive."

For 29 bucks, I believe I'll eventually do the upgrade.
erm: think i'll stick to ver 10 for the moment.
some of the thing ver 11 has: like backing up email settings: i thought wow! but then i realised that ver 10 had this anyway!

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I upgraded to 11 .. but didn't see anything I liked.
Still using 10 ... cause I'm familiar with it.

I'm thinking this was an upgrade to make me think I needed to buy it and give them more money.
It worked.

The "Try&Decide" virtualization feature of 11 is worth the money even if you used no other feature of it. It allows complete virtualization of the OS for installing drivers or programs, or surfing the net, and allows you to keep changes or revert to the pre-test environment.

The "Backup Locations" feature, where you decide a maximum size for it, seems to work in 11 and I never got it to work in 10.

The "drive wiper" is no big deal. Darik's is free and does as good a jub.

OM2

Elvandil said:
The "Try&Decide" virtualization feature of 11 is worth the money even if you used no other feature of it. It allows complete virtualization of the OS for installing drivers or programs, or surfing the net, and allows you to keep changes or revert to the pre-test environment.
ooh... hold on... i missed that one.
so does that mean i can test out trial software again and again and again and again...? :)
sounds good to me.

can you for example install software a.
install software b.
install software c.
and then 3 weeks later *fully* uninstall software a?

i tried something called ashampoo some time ago...
one of their softwares does this.
i didn't think it was that good.
(though i never got round to testing the trial software bit i mentioned above.)

Not quite. Each time you shut down, you choose whether to keep the changes made during that particular session.

For uninstalling "A", after "B" and "C" have been installed, you may need to revert to a complete image that was created after "A" was installed. So, you don't have complete control forever and ever :D.

But you could create a virtual machine of your OS with VirtualBox or VMWare and try your software there, too.

OM2

Elvandil said:
But you could create a virtual machine of your OS with VirtualBox or VMWare and try your software there, too.
kewl!
just looked those up.
sounds really interesting.
surely they're both really memory and cpu hungry?
let me know.
thanks.

Not as bad as you'd think. My XP seems to run just as it did on the old machine. You choose how much memory to give it, so it is completely isolated from the main OS, even if it crashes. It doesn't use any more memory than you give it.

Yes, it uses CPU, and sometimes a lot. But if you aren't running much in the host OS, it leaves more for the VM when you are using it. There are settings in some of those programs (Parallels Workstation is another good one I am using) to give CPU priority to the VM when it is highlighted or the mouse is over it and then switch back when it isn't.

Surfing the web in XP, copied from my old machine, in a window on the new Vista machine (It can be made full-screen so you don't even see the host OS):

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts