1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acronis True Image 2015 Backup issue

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by shaka001, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shaka001

shaka001 Thread Starter

I have a copy of the Acronis True Image 2015 version, that i use to backup my drive, now my problem is, i had another version of this software before and the way that it used to backup : it would usually create one tib image file for my backup and now on this one, its creating so many separate tib files just to do one backup which takes forever and i really don't understand why, because my drive is not that huge its only 500gb and I'm not even using half of it, its about 40 percent full and i intend to keep it that way, but why does this version of Acronis have to use all these image files to do such a small backup? I have uploaded an image of the backup archives on my external usb drive that the Acronis software has made

Attached Files:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may have enabled the option to split the backup into smaller files, change it to Automatic. If it's already on automatic set it to custom and set the size to something greater than the full size of the backup. Also, this will occur if your destination drive is formatted FAT32 instead of NTFS where it can only handle 4GB files.

upload_2016-1-2_14-18-27.png

3. shaka001

shaka001 Thread Starter

alright i will try doing the backup again and see what happens because i think you might be right about the drive being in fat 32, which it was, i just reformatted it to ntfs, so i'll do it over and get back to you, thankyou for your assistance

4. shaka001

shaka001 Thread Starter

I'm doing the backup right now and I realised that I fixed the issue with the images, its now using one image to do the backup, but its really really slow, is there a way to speed this up?

Attached Files:

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How big is the backup? How long has it been running for already? Is the backup drive USB 2.0 or 3.0? How fast did it use to go and what drive did you use before?

In the Acronis settings, the one I posted above if you to the Performance the you can set the priority and compression, make sure compression isn't set to high or the performance can drop, and make sure the priority isn't set to low.

6. storage_man

storage_man

Looks like your performing the backup using the Recovery disc (Looking at your picture). The Recovery disc uses Linux. I have tried using it the past and found that the drivers that are included with the Linux based recovery are not the most efficient. I have found that building a WINPE boot disk with the Acronis application works the best since when you build the PE disk, you get drivers that you use under your current Windows OS system.

I use ATI2015 on my Win 10 system, and have bench marked the performance between backing up under WIN 10 vs my WIN10PE recovery disc and have found the performance the same (Excluding Boot time).

One final note: If your external backup drive is connected via USB 3.0, Acronis does a poor job internally handling USB 3.0. I have never been able to achieve USB 3.0 performance using any Acronis backup.

7. shaka001

shaka001 Thread Starter

Yes you are correct I am using the recovery disk and I just finished the backup so if I can't get around the speed problem I will just do backups overnight I have no problem with that, also the external drive is USB 3.0 but my motherboard is old and I have no USB 3.0 ports to the front of the case, the system is very old so, I'm assuming the the speed is really USB 2.0 transfer rate and the other drive that I used to use is a 7200 rpm Santa 2 drive from Hitachi

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How long did it take and how much data?

You say you have no USB 3.0 ports to the front of the case, does that men you do have USB 3.0 on the back?

9. shaka001

shaka001 Thread Starter

No I don't have any USB 3.0 ports at all and the backup took like 2 hours or so to complete so right now I just need to know if it is normal for an external drive to complete the image with the Acronis on USB 2.0 with that type of time frame

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  10. storage_man

storage_man

Here are a couple backup bench marks. The system is an HP laptop, 2 years old, has USB 3.0 ports, Medium speed Amd quadcore processor. The backup device is a USB 3.0 external unit with WD SATA 6 drive.

I'm backing up 11ogb with ATI2015.

Running under windows 10 = 30min elapsed time
    Running under WIN10PE = 27min elapsed time
    Running under ATI Linux = 240min elapsed time.

They just don't support USB 3.0 devices very well under their LINUX system.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You still haven't posted how much data it backed up. 2 hours for 30 GB would be slow, 2 hours for 200GB would not be slow.

12. shaka001

shaka001 Thread Starter

oh so sorry not paying attention, alright my backup is about just over 300 gb, 2 hours over usb 2.0 speed on an external drive, so is that slow or fast

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    300GB is a huge amount of data, I don't generally time my backups with Acronis but 2 hours seems reasonable for that going to a USB 2.0 drive.

14. shaka001

shaka001 Thread Starter

Alright thanks now I know what I need to do, I'm going to do my backups at night and set the program to shutdown the computer, after its finished that way the computer won't be still running after the backup is complete.

15. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That is quite fast.
    I disable my network card and turn off my AV and all other unnecessary tasks when I do mine.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!