1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acronis True Image 2020 - getting better or worse?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by armly, Dec 30, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. armly

armly Thread Starter

I'll be doing a new install of Win 10, going from Win 7 on a desktop machine.

Have used True Image 2014 for making images along the way (lots of apps) for not only for when I put in the new system - but for secondary means of backup. Making clones is easiest for me; if anything too serious with the drive crops up then (virus, drive wear, etc.) then I simply plug in a new cloned magnetic.

However I'll now be installing an ssd for the OS.

Checking out reviews of the 2020 version I'm finding quite a bit more negative reviews than my prior version that cite difficulty with install, mounting an image back and more...

Is there anything to be concerned about? Never had I a problem with their 2014 ver.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    We have stopped using True Image, as it does want to use the cloud and is not easy to name your files to what you want.

We have gone to the Macrium Reflect and there is the FREE version.

armly likes this.
  3. armly

armly Thread Starter

Does 1999 True Image want to go to cloud, or just 2020?

I never use cloud, I backup to local media only.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'm not sure there was a version in 1999. At that time I was using Ghost.
    posted in my wikipedia link.

The first version of TI I tried was v 7. (looks like it came out in 2003) I moved to that because Ghost was giving me problems.
    History here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronis_True_Image

Here's versions
    https://kb.acronis.com/old-versions/how

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have not tried acronis 2020 however I did try 2019 and went back to using 2016. Like many programs a new version is not necessarily better [still using a quicken version from 2012]
    I do not backup to a cloud server either; I only trust the backup I control. One thing I do in regard to backups is to make one of my backups on an external drive that is secured in my gun safe when not actually being used.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What are your thoughts about Macrium Reflect and MiniTool ShadowMaker (free versions)?
    I've used Macrium, but haven't used MiniTool yet.
    I'm a novice to cloning and have done it only twice, so the one that's more user-friendly and reliable, the better.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have not used macrium in quite some time and I have never used minitool. I just tried acronis 2020 and yet again, I am going back to 2016. The latest one worked OK however it took quite a bit longer to make an image. I store the image file on a ssd and it took so long that I thought I selected the wrong drive to store the image [4gig spin drive] No, it was the ssd and took at least twice as long to make/store the image.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just timed how long to make an image of a system drive containing approx 57gig [nvme drive to ssd] 2min and 10 seconds with acronis 2016 vs 5min using acronis 2020 [same compression level] Looks like the 2020 ver uses a different file suffix .tibx as opposed to the 2016ver which uses .tib.
    Again I am sticking with the old 2016ver.....

9. armly

armly Thread Starter

I'm interested in how well Macrium Reflect works too

(meant to say Acronis True image 2019 rather than 1999 - if that insists on going to Cloud)

10. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Wow. Based on this information, I'm glad I have Acronis 2016.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yeah. The image size was almost identical [same amount of compression] however the time it took really amazed me....

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Try it and see how you like it. You may like it better than acronis. You do understand that IF you have a WD drive, you can download the proprietary version of acronis from the WD support site. This will only work with a WD drive.

I have said it many times however IMO no image or backup program is worth anything until you validate your ability to restore the image or backup.

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I've been using Macrium Reflect free for a few years now and it works very well.

14. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

All this discussion of issues with previously well thought of products is really pushing me to get off my lazy butt and get the business grade backup software I have fully operational. From a previous job, I have the full version of Commvault software which gives me the ability to backup my VMs, physical servers, and clients (PCs/Macs).

15. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1237918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice