1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acronis True Image always on?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Jakemahn, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jakemahn

Jakemahn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jake
    Hi!

I have an older Dell Optiplex with a Pentium II and 256MB RAM, running Windows 2000 SP4. After several times of OS replacement, I finally realized the importance of doing regular backups that everyone keeps talking about! So I've been doing tons of research into the whole topic, and out of the confusion a plan of action is emerging, part of which is using Acronis True Image to image my hard drive. The software for version 9.0 arrived and is registered, but not yet installed as I'm still figuring out the rest of the process.

Part of the cause of my last OS failure was not paying attention to the use of my PC's limited resources, so I've scaled back on utilities and applications in order to be able to do actual work on the darn thing. Backing up now, and continuously hereafter, is the current challenge. While reading up on another, additional, backup utility I came across a review of an earlier version of TI that said the only major drawback was that it runs in the background all the time, tying up resources, and can't be "turned off" even if it will only be used infrequently. This would be fine if the amount of drain is small and unobtrusive, but I can't find any actual info about it. Any of you know? What might happen if I use it for what I need and then uninstall it? Does it need to stay on to monitor changes as they're made? Have Acronis' creators addressed and corrected this issue (haven't heard back from them yet)?

Out of confusion came clarity, and now further confusion. Any help would be much appreciated...

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

In msconfig .. (startup) .. I disable all Acronis.
    In (Services) ... the Acronis scheduler must be running to make backups ... Reason unknown.
    Could turn it on when needed.

I've read that a few Wizards here ... use the ATI boot CD .. Backing up a running OS makes them nervous.
    I assume this means ATI doesn't even need to be installed ... But only to make the boot CD

Where are you storing the recovery images ??
    This help any ??

3. Jakemahn

Jakemahn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jake
    Hi Noyb, and thanks!

First I wanted you to see what prompted my posting here:

"There is only one thing we truely dislike about True Image and we hope the company fixes this soon. True Image runs two background processes (services) on your computer at all times. That's right, even if you only back up your system once a month, you will be running these two background processes at all times. They are used to handle scheduling (even if you don't schedule any backups). This is unbelievably obnoxious, and the worst part is that unlike similar programs, manually starting and stopping these services does not work cleanly. Really bad show. Acronis if you are listening, fix this and start up these services only when needed.

Regardless of this single complaint, Acronis True Image 8 comes out on top of the competition in terms of interface, reliability, and features." - Copied from a review at Donationcoder.com

So, I'll take your advice about using msconfig to monitor the app. ( Win 2000 doesn't come with this feature, I found out recently, but I was able to download it following the link provided in the CNet forum I was reading at the time!) I can also keep track of the resource usage with the MemoKit app I have installed, though it warned me too late last time to avert the crash that forced my tech at MicroCenter to reinstall the entire OS. I had what turned out to be pretty much useless backups, so even though he preserved a lot of my data without them, I had to basically start over. I've only been involved with computers since last October, and this was the third time doing this; it's been what I call "frightening and enlightening", with a lot of frustration thrown in, but the key lesson was to make reliable backups. Now I just have to do them before really needing them!

I haven't started yet only because I'm still assembling all the tools, and every time I think I'm ready to begin, it seems there are still things missing and/or other steps to take. And that's OK because I'm actually enjoying the adventure and learning a whole lot.

Along those lines, would you mind elaborating on your comments about the Wizards and why it makes them nervous to backup a running OS? I understand that before ATI there was no sure way to do the latter (at least not reliably). Is that what you're referring to? I also plan on using their disk partitioning utility, Disk Director Suite 10.0, which is another very innovative product, so doing the first backup beforehand becomes even more crucial.

You asked where I was storing the image, and the answer, aside from "I haven't yet", is that until I get (or make) an external hard drive, "on DVD media". I know it's not the best solution for a variety of reasons, but I installed the DVD hardware and it came with all the third party (Nero) software to do what the ATI can't. My other, currently disabled, hard drive is only 4GB (it's the PC's original, and was considered huge at the time!), which probably isn't big enough to hold the image unless I can tweak it by limiting the files to be copied, or compressing the image - which is a whole different consideration altogether. As is the Boot CD, but from what I can gather, the program will "walk" me through the process. Any insights before I try it?

I really appreciate that you answered my post and hope that I haven't scared you away with this follow-up! I discovered this site while reading Gizmo Richards' "TechSupportAlert" newsletter, and, as usual, have not been disappointed. Thanks for being there...

Jakemahn

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Don’t know about ATI 8 … I started with ATI 9
    You might want to get ATI 10 ... It only has one process running in services.
    I don’t schedule anything. I backup my OS or Data only when needed or I acquire some data that I don’t want to loose.
    I split my HD into two partitions … one for the OS - the other for Data … makes backing up and recovery easy. Acronis DD does this really easy.

You might want to look at … http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html ... with this you can see what’s starting and a bunch more. It’ll also prevent programs from changing your setup.

I think some wizards use other Data backup programs … but use the ATI boot CD to backup their OS partitions. Once a system is mature, you don’t really need to back it up that often.
    Updating a few programs is a whole lot easier than doing a fresh restore.
    This assumes your OS and Data are split into two partitions.

I don’t think ATI or ADD running process really bother anything … But I usually shut down what’s not needed on general principals and because I’m a clean freak.
    You can always remove ATI .. and operate from the ATI boot CD. Requires some rebooting and is a little slower.

Gizmo’s newsletter is great.
    I prefer to get a USB external HD enclosure then fill it with a good HD that I find on Sale. HD’s are cheap nowadays.
    Can get more gigs for the Buck this way and also swap HDs if needed.
    Can also Clone your OS (and data) to the external and have a spare HD ready to install and run.
    Now That’s a backup.

While shopping .. you might want to look at these …

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4596287 ... 400 GB, Weekly special, free shipping.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817123021 ... USB HD enclosure.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832200002
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1528708SF

The Sanmax enclosure I pointed you to (#2) ..is the best I’ve found. HD installation is super easy.
    It’s one of the few that has a front panel power switch and HD activity indicator.
    Hiding a power switch on the back panel ... or not providing one ... just doesn't make any sense to me.
    I’d get two (at least) before they decide to update it and ruin it. Having a hardware backup is also a good idea.
    Plus it makes a good tool for reading HDs that wont boot … etc.

Hope I covered the questions.
    A look inside the enclosure .. no fragile ribbon cable to mess with ... just plug in the HD n Go.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!