1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acronis True Image backup Size

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Jerold, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

I've been using acronis for a few years now and I'm always trying to keep the TIB file as small as possible. I save them to a seperate partiton and create backups whenever I feel that I've changed the system (install new programs or updated, etc..) enough to warrant a new backup. I only create full backups and don't do incremental or differential one since they are usually the same size as the original TIB file.

One thing that I've noticed is that if I create a new TIB image the file size gets extraordinarily large, BUT if I restore to the last TIB image and then go thru the process of reinstalling/configuring everything since the last TIB image was created, the new TIB image file size is about the same as the last TIB.

I keep a txt file log that I add entries of any/all significant changes, updates and installations that I do on the system. I can restore a TIB image and go thru the log to reinstall/update or uninstall what I've done. I know it sounds like a hassle, but it actually is very easy and efficient - especially if the logfile is fairly thorough.

I'm wondering if anyone knows why the filesizes would be that different?

On my machine at work, The last TIB file was about 9GB. I made TIB the other day and it ended up at 32GB. I don't do a lot of changes or experimental installations on that machine. The PC that I use at home gets a lot of tweaking.

I restored the Work PC today and reinstalled a few things that I needed and ran TIB when I left. I'll find out in the morning how big the files size is, but I'll bet it's a lot smaller than 32GB since it was estimated to complete in 27min. The 32GB image took over an hour to complete.

2. dman4862

dman4862

was the sector by sector box checked by any chance? that maybe why it was so big. just a thought

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You don't say how big the HD is ... but up to 12% can be used for system restore.
    You can cut the tib size by shutting down system restore on that drive before backing up.
    Could this be why ??

Assuming you don't have any Data stored in My Documents and/or on the Desktop.

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

Jerold: You say, "I save them to a seperate partiton and create backups whenever I feel that I've changed the system (install new programs or updated, etc..)"

If this partition is on the same HDD as where the existing OS, etc. are located, you really haven't protected yourself. If the HDD goes down, goodbye backup.

Backups should be to a dedicated external HDD or CD/DVD.

{redoak}

5. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

Where can I find that sector by sector option? I'm using version 10? I couldn't find it in the settings.

I partition the HDD, so the C partition is 150GB out of 500GB total on the HDD. I only backup the C partition. I've got all the other data and system critical info on either a REV tape backup or on an external HDD.

I'll look into clearing the system restore files. System restore never did work for me whenever I needed it to work.

I keep a copy of the 2 most current TIB's on a partition of the HDD and also put a copy of it onto an external HDD. I found that restoring from an external takes so much longer, so I keep a copy on the HDD for faster restores - even longer from mulitple DVD-R's.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Are you really sure your C drive is clean .. No Data anywhere ?
    Nothing in My Docs, your Desktop .. or elsewhere ??
    Any OEM recovery partitions hiding somewhere ??
    Sure you only backup the C drive ??

150gig for a C Drive sounds huge to me .. and this baby is loaded ..
    Right now, I even have a couple of videos under construction on my desktop (C drive)

Attached Files:

7. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

I use CCleaner to dump all history, cookies, temp files and some other items. I run CAD & graphics software that takes up a lot of space just for the program files and any other software utilities that I use. They aren't that large. Pretty typical installations and I always customize the installations to uncheck anything I don't need.

The only thing that i can think of that may add a lot of data would be all those MS update downloads. I try to keep it minimal, but how many verification updates do we really need to install? Once it verifies it once, why would it change??..

When running acronis, I only have the C partition checked. Erverything else is unchecked.

I've changed the location of My Docs to save it to another partition and even then, I don't save anything in My Docs. It all goes to a seperate HDD.

Desktop is clean.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If you have an OEM Recovery Partition ?? ... You only have to back it up once.
    How many gigs "occupied" is your C Drive ??
    ATI should make a tib recovery file about 60% of the occupied space.

There is free some software you can run to see where all the occupied stuff might be hiding.

Sounds like we think alot alike.
    I sure would like to know how to sneak a copy of Unigraphics in my computer.

9. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

There can't be an OEM partition on it, I think. It is a new bare drive that I reformatted and installed. The original was a 120GB HDD that I took out.

What's the ATI that you mention?
    If I remember correctly, I've got 75.7GB free space. Now that I think of it, that is a lot of used space. I know that the game that I've previously installed took about 6GB, but I've taken it off for now.

I'm gonna check to see how big that Windows folder is when I get home. I'll also check on the size of a folder that I call "_Utilities". It is in the program file directory and I install any extra programs. I know it's pretty lengthy, but it can't be that large.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

If it's a Dell, HP, or many others ... Restoring it from the factory DVDs would have put an OEM recovery Partition in it.

ATI = Acronis True Image
    Free Space is NOT Used Space ???
    Can you attach a screen shot of you Disc management screen ?? ... like my post #6

11. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

It's a DELL. An old one - Precision Workstation 650.
    I dont' restore from a factory disk. This entire system has been formatted and reinstalled to remove all the bloat from an Dell OEM factory installation.

My mistake on the C partition size. I thought it was a 150GB partition. It's only 100GB and 22.3GB is used. If your 60% rule is correct, then a TIB image would be about 13GB. The last one I did was about that size.

I'm just wondering why it gets so huge if I don't do a restore, then reinstall all "new" programs and settings and then create a new TIB..??..

I always set it to high priority and max compression.

I attached a screen shot of my C partition. Hopefully it worked.

Attached Files:

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

That's cheating .. I have to remove the Bloat and the recovery partition the hard way :mad:
    I use the default settings.
    About the only time I shut down system restore is if I'm trying to fit on a DVD.
    Otherwise, I normally forget.
    Nice Shot, looks good to go from here (y)

13. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

My office's old SOP was to strip/reformat all new PC's as soon as we get them and reinstall the OS and work related programs to get rid of all the trial and Dell useless programs that they load into them. I still do it with any new PC I get, but now that I use ATI, the first thing I install is ATI and then create a TIB to DVD-R of the factory installation and then reformat the HDD.

How do you actually remove that small recovery/diagnostic partition on hard drives? The Work PC still has them. Actually has 2 FAT partitions.

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Depends on where the fats are.
    If they're before the C drive .. It's a pain ... Messes up the boot.ini partition boot order.
    If After .. Just Delete ... You can still use the recovery DVDs, even for an OEM application restore.
    If the OEM recovery tool can't find it .. It'll ask for the DVD.
    At least that's the way it works in my HPs

Last Dell I saw had a tiny fat in front of the C Drive ... I left it alone.
    The recovery fat (the bigger one) was after the C ... It went by-by

You really sure you want all those Data partitions ?? .. Kind of a waste of space - IMHO.
    Folders are flexible, Partition walls aren't.

15. Masterman10

Masterman10

If it acronis version 10 there is a problem that the estimated file size is way off. Mine is about 40 GB and it tells me its like 60 GB.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!