1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Act! 2006 Full version and OEM version--What's the diff?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Alex Ethridge, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I'm looking for a comparison chart or other documentation that will indicate the differences between the OEM and Full Retail version of ACT! 2006. I've Googled; but, I cannot find anything that helps.

With some softwares, the only difference is that OEM gets no tech support from the developer. With others, there is a difference in available features. In the features case, I would want to know what comes with Retail ACT! that is not included in OEM.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I have never yet seen any OEM that has reduced features. They usually have to "die" with the PC they are first installed on however.

http://www.amigadeals.co.uk/act-2006.htm

Specifically states:
    "Aside from the price, the OEM version is functionally identical to the full commercial version"

Should be clear enough?

3. Alex Ethridge

Some do have reduced features. I have seen it, myself. Nero is one.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Nero OEM is actually a separate Nero Bundled OEM version that comes with drives etc, I did not think we were talking about "bundled software" here though.

Same as many scanners have bundled OEM versions of OCR, less featured than the full version.

Quite different to mainstream programs that do not rely on an accompanying peripheral.
    (Ignoring the fact that some OEM mainstream programs include an IDE cable or similar to make the transaction valid, they have no reliance on that item)

5. Alex Ethridge

Thanks but I don't want to make this a discussion about Nero or other OEM software in general.

I need an answer from someone who has first-hand experience or some documentation that explains the difference between ACT! 2006 OEM and the full retail version.

6. Alex Ethridge

By the way, thanks for the link; but, I'm not in the UK and therefore cannot be sure the UK OEM release is identical to the US release.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

8. Wino

Wino

I've used ACT! since 2.1 version (now using 2000 5.5) and have never seen an O.E.M. version offered, so curious where you saw it. I've toyed with upgrading to 2007 as have seen offers for less than $90 after rebates. I would suspect the only difference is Retail has all documentation and handbooks and O.E.M. just disc, but both full featured. I would think Sage would support either version.

9. Alex Ethridge

10. Wino

Wino

11. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

12. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

What strikes me as "interesting" with this thread is the the original poster actually needs to find someone that runs both OEM and Retail ACT! versions, otherwise they themselves may be quite unaware of any "difference", if there is one.

Hence a call to Sage would be my recommendation, as made above.

13. Alex Ethridge

Not necessarily. An observant user of Act OEM who has compared notes with someone who has the retail version might know something useful. Also, someone who has used the OEM and upgraded later to retail might know (as in your last post).

Frankly, I don't think much of asking Sage. Usually all you get from the developer is that they don't support OEM and therefore can't give any information on it. And, would you really expect Sage to tell me to get that cheapie instead of spending the bigger bucks? I guess I'm just cynical; but, I didn't get that way for no reason.

When I go to Amazon.com to read book reviews, I really don't care as much for the publisher's or professional reviewer's opinion. I want to know what real users like myself have to say. Same with Act--if I get lucky and find someone.

14. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

On reflection, you would be right about Sage and OEM, they would probably (and rightly) be unhelpful.

But I would be surprised if by the same token, they would sell "nobbled" versions, when the only link found assures it is the same as the full retail.

This link:
    http://www.royaldiscount.com/act200680oem.html
    Also has the same assurance, if you click on the "OEM" for ACT! 2006 it says:

"Original Equipment Manufacturer: OEM software is a full version which includes the CD-ROM, the Certificate of Authenticity (COA), and the product key codes. These elements are all you will need to load and run the software. The software runs exactly the same way as the full retail version (including automatic updates). The differences between OEM Vs RetailBox are:
    A. OEM does not come in a box.
    B. Full version OEM will only install as a full version, not as an upgrade. Only software titles listed "Upgrade OEM" can be used to upgrade from a previous version.
    C. All OEM software behaves just like full version retail box software when upgrading: OEM software can be upgraded to later versions.
    D. Manufacturers do not supply free technical support or installation support for OEM."

15. Alex Ethridge

I have a request in to BuyCheapSoftware.com asking if there is a difference in functionality. They have the OEM version for under $50. I put the request in on Thursday so I probably won't hear anything until Monday, if at all.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice