Actiontec GT 704 WG

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zcly2008

I have two Actiontec GT 704-WG wireless Gateway routers I am in need of instructions to piggy back the wireless signals for internet connectivity in another part of my house I will be attaching Ethernet to a directv receiver all I want it to do is receive the WAN for internet and LAN connect.
Can anyone give me a hand with tis my dsl support from my ISP said I can not do yhis but I fail to beleive this as I had it receiving activity but no internet connect

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You want to use the second one as a wireless bridge? That unit doesn't have that capability, so you're out of luck there.

zcly2008

So do you have any ideas on what to use to pick up my WAN and adapt to Ethernet?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Sure, a wireless bridge. I happen to use a ZyXEL P330W in bridge mode here, many other routers offer the capability as well. One caveat, don't select a Belkin model for this task! Even though they claim wireless bridge capability, they apparently don't play well with other brands.

The reason that I mention other routers instead of a dedicated wireless bridge is they're usually cheaper.

zcly2008

Thanks John I will buy a wireless bridge for this task I beleive I thought about just going to Home depot and getting the stuff for a wired connection and just get it over with.
I just figured there was some back door way to make this thing work they are not exactly cheap after all but such as it is I will just hang on to it for a spare.
Thanks again
Carl York

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, I approve of the HomeDepot wired solution, that's what I did here. :D I just use wireless for some laptops and one desktop in a place I didn't feel like running a wire.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online