1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Actiontec GT 704 WG

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zcly2008, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zcly2008

zcly2008 Thread Starter

I have two Actiontec GT 704-WG wireless Gateway routers I am in need of instructions to piggy back the wireless signals for internet connectivity in another part of my house I will be attaching Ethernet to a directv receiver all I want it to do is receive the WAN for internet and LAN connect.
    Can anyone give me a hand with tis my dsl support from my ISP said I can not do yhis but I fail to beleive this as I had it receiving activity but no internet connect

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You want to use the second one as a wireless bridge? That unit doesn't have that capability, so you're out of luck there.

3. zcly2008

zcly2008 Thread Starter

So do you have any ideas on what to use to pick up my WAN and adapt to Ethernet?

4. JohnWill

Sure, a wireless bridge. I happen to use a ZyXEL P330W in bridge mode here, many other routers offer the capability as well. One caveat, don't select a Belkin model for this task! Even though they claim wireless bridge capability, they apparently don't play well with other brands.

The reason that I mention other routers instead of a dedicated wireless bridge is they're usually cheaper.

5. zcly2008

zcly2008 Thread Starter

Thanks John I will buy a wireless bridge for this task I beleive I thought about just going to Home depot and getting the stuff for a wired connection and just get it over with.
    I just figured there was some back door way to make this thing work they are not exactly cheap after all but such as it is I will just hang on to it for a spare.
    Thanks again
    Carl York

6. JohnWill

Well, I approve of the HomeDepot wired solution, that's what I did here. :D I just use wireless for some laptops and one desktop in a place I didn't feel like running a wire.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice