1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ActionTec MI424WR Verizon FIOS & Secure IMAP & Secure POP3

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JM4, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JM4

JM4 Thread Starter

I am trying to make an secure POP3 (port 995) and secure IMAP (port 993) connection thru Verizon FIOS via the ActionTec MI424WR modem/router/802.11G box that Verizon supplied. I am running Vista, and I am using Outlook 2007, which is set to these ports.

I wanted to do this with the firewall set to the "Maximum Security (High)" setting.

These ports were not available in the ActionTec's pick list so I added these ports (using the "Advanced" tab and then under "Protocols") so they read "TCP any -> 993" and "TCP any -> 995"

I tried adding these ports to the "Access Control" table, and the "Port Forwarding" table and the "Advanced Filtering" table but none worked.

The Verizon Tech Support line worker told me the only solution was to enable the DMZ host and set it to be the IP address of the computer I happened to be on.

To my astonisment, with DMZ enabled, the "Access Control" rules seemed to kick in for the DMZ host and my secure POP3 would only work if I had this port allowed in the "Access Control" table.

Questions:
    1. Is it safe to run with DMZ pointing to my computer.

I thought this effectively brought the "DMZ host" (i.e. my computer) outsied the firewall and exposed all the ports on my computer directly to the internet. (But if that were the case, then

2. why does the Access Control table work only to the DMZ host???

3. How do I make the "Access Control" (or any of the other tables) work for my other computers in my home network?

I want all my other computers to be able to use secure IMAP and secure POP3. (Not just the one computer that is the DMZ-host.

4. Is Verizon blocking Secure IMAP from working? What must be done to get secure IMAP working?

Secure IMAP does not work under any settings -- even to DMZ host with the firewall set to the Minimum Security (Low) setting.

5. How do I get secure SSL SMTP to my secured office email system? Is this blocked by Verizon FIOS?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

DMZ does indeed expose the computer directly to the outside world, that's why it's called the DMZ! :D

Do you have residential or commercial FiOS? There are blocked ports for the residential service.

3. JM4

JM4 Thread Starter

I have residential

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect that's one of the issues. I don't know which ports they block, and they apparently vary in different parts of the country.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/603031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice