1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Activated" but "Not Genuine" VISTA Utlimate?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by FijiJohn, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FijiJohn

FijiJohn Thread Starter

Today, after months of use, my wife's computer suddenly declared on startup that her copy of Vista Ultimate is not genuine. (It came from the Microsoft store in Redmond, and installed nicely without problems; our son works for Microsoft and was kind enough to buy us both copies of Ultimate.) On reboot, it said "Activation was successful" but also has "This copy of Windows is not genuine" in the lower right corner of the screen. Any ideas on what happened or how to fix this? (I must say that this adds to my perception that Vista has a LOT of problems.)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you change anything about the configuration? Usually, this comes up with a change in hardware.

Microsoft should be able to assist, since you do indeed have a genuine copy.

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

I have found this problem as well. Apparently Microsoft have released a patch/fix/ whatever as part of the normal update process designed to stamp out counterfeit windows versions. Not sure exactly WHICK patch its in, but lets face it, its not really something they would tell you.
    This has the effect of disabling windows functions gradually, ending up with a basically blank screen and just a link to ms to enable you to buy a new copy of windows. UNFORTUNATLEY, MS didnt get it right. There are a reported 10, 000+ Legitimate copies that have been affected by this, resulting in genuine windows being lost. If you have a genuine windows, it is best to contact ms and ask for a new serial number. Provided you have the original disk and serial number, and can validate it, they should give you a new number that works.

Thats what I have had to go through- thanks ms for anti piracy methods that kill those who PAY for your products!!

4. FijiJohn

FijiJohn Thread Starter

Absolutely NO changes in hardware (although she does occasionally plug her flash drive in). And yes, this is a completely legit retail package FROM the MICROSOFT STORE itself, with the original product key "Proof of License." Gulo, how did you contact MS? (I see a lot of dead end links.)

5. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Sorry, I wasnt intending to imply that your windows was anything other than legit.. no offence meant!!
    As for contacting Ms.. Not sure if it is the same in US, but i went through a partial reinstall, to get win back.. all the bits i needed were backed up. Anyway, after the product code didnt work, it says you can axtivate by phone, so i called that number, and they gave me th enew key. Eventually.

6. FijiJohn

FijiJohn Thread Starter

No offense taken! I was just pointing out the irony that this came from the Microsoft store on the Microsoft campus. How much more legit could it be? After three reboots it stopped saying it was not legit. Then the next day it started all over again. Going through the online "Get Legitimate" program it ran the WGA tool and suddenly all is right again (for the moment). Rather bizarre. Wish I could say that this is the only bizarre behavior I've seen from Vista. :( I am in Fiji and there is no toll-free call from here. One MS phone guy insisted there had to be and pout me onhold for 10 minutes before coming back and saying I was right, no toll free line from Fiji. I thanked him for costing me more than $10 in phone charges to find out I was right.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've seen this once before, but to fix it I just ran Microsoft Update, installed some updates that were available and rebooted.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/630998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice