1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Activating Win server 2008

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by hqnet, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hqnet

hqnet Thread Starter

Hi,

We have purchased a server and a windows 2008 license, but because the information given by the reseller was very very confusing (*) we did not enter the serial number at installation time.

*we were given a link to a MS customer account were we where supposed to get a Volume licence for this along with the additional licences we got, but process is quite bad imho.

So when we finally figured which one was our license number I proceeded to the activatation tool assuming it would require our serial and activate the install based on it...

...but the thing is it never asked for the serial yet it said something like 'Activation was succesful' and the Genuine Windows logo appeared, there is no "X days rmaining for activation", and basically everything looks fine... but since I didnĀ“t enter the serial I am worried it will cause trouble in the future (i.e. complain about activation overnight)

Before I activated it there was a Product Key on screen, and there still is, but AFAIK that is not the same as the Serial Number, right?

What I am doing wrong here??

regards.
    HQ.

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    Yes, you do need to provide a Product Number (not a serial number) and then Activate it. Since, your product is now activated, you are now fully licensed to use Windows 2008. So I shouldn't worry about it any further.
    ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice