1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Activating windows xp(Again!)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nick2004, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick2004

nick2004 Thread Starter

Hi all,
    just signed up with a question for ya!
    Would anyone know why my windows installation needed re-activation when i turned on today?
    I had to activate it recently when i installed the latest catalyst drivers,and also once before when i updated the firmware versions of my two dvd/cd drives,but today i got the message that hardware devices had changed and windows needed re-activating,its no problem doing it over the net but the next time i have to phone a microsoft support person to activate it i want to know what is going on,in the meantime i was wondering if anyone is having similar issues,all my hardware drivers are installed and up to date and the system is working great,its just getting a bit ridiculous this out of the blue need for activation again.
    Thanks for any insight.
    oh yeah,heres me specs:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Service Pack 2
    4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    AMD Athlon 64, 2300 MHz (10 x 230)Winchester S939
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025)
    nVIDIA nForce3 Ultra, AMD Hammer
    1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    ATI Radeon X800 Pro (R420)
    CTX EX950F Series [19" CRT]
    Creative EMU10K1 SB Live!
    Maxtor 6Y120M0 (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Serial-ATA/150)
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4081B
    MSI CD-RW CR52
    EPSON Stylus CX3200

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

XP checks for "points" on bootup and it looks at the hardware and CPU, and everything until it adds up 7 points. Then it boots. Anything less is a re-activate. You said you updated firmware for your ROMS. That may in effect make XP think the drives had changed. Normally, one drive at a time, nothing happens, but when you make 2 or more hardware changes, the XP wants to know why. Activation over the phone is easy. Just tell the person what you have done and they will give you an ungodly long number to enter. Like 42 digits. Nothing to it. Took me less than 3 minutes to do.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice