Activating Windows Xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

babu

I'm new at this so plz overlook any mistake's'...

Hello,

Last year I bought Dell...Last week lightening got it, taking with it my family tree that I've worked on for yrs...[ I had just reached a point to where I was going to back up my family tree but lightening got to it first] ...So I took the hard drive out just in case it survived and put it on an extra pc [which is not a Dell]...
The hard drive seems to be there because it shows my old wallpaper, but it keeps asking for my "Windows XP Activation Code" which I don't have...[maybe it was on the tower that I pitched after removing the hard drive]...
Is there a way I can get around activating so as to retrieve my family tree?

PLZ Help!

regards,

etaf

Wayne
you may be better off putting the drive in as a slave - It sounds like you are putting in as a main drive - if you add as a slave - change the jumper on the back from the master to slave postion then you may be able to go onto that drive and copy your files.

yes on the old PC shouldl have had the KEY for windows on a label on the PC

babu

Thank you "etaf", it worked! I installed the hard drive as you suggested and easily found my family tree along, with other info I was afraid I had lost!

I will be more than happy to donate to this helpful site.........

regards

etaf

Wayne
cool
Your Welcome. (y)
Would you now mark this thread solved - which you have the power to do from your first post.
goto
Tick - Mark Solved

Thanks (y)

theres a link for donations at the top of the forum

babu

thanks etaf............I will mark this solved...

I donated by buying a shirt...

regards

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online