Activating Windows Xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

delta_kilo

I aready think I know the answer to this question , but I'll ask anyway. I had win/xp home edition installed on a machine which I no longer use. Question can I install this version of windows on a new machine and still activate it with the original key or do I need to call Microsoft and obtain a new key to reactivate windows? which I assume will cost me $:mad:

as long as the original was legit, you should have no trouble using the key again. i havent tried this though so i cant guarantee anything...but i'm almost positive it will work.

KingCobra1064 said:
as long as the original was legit, you should have no trouble using the key again. i havent tried this though so i cant guarantee anything...but i'm almost positive it will work.
I'm sorry to say, that is incorrect. The reason is, when you install an operating system such as windows xp and then register the product. The key itself is regestered to your computers bios so it can't be used on another computer legally. i'm sorry to say you will have to purchase a new key or a new copy of windows xp

Simulated said:
I'm sorry to say, that is incorrect. The reason is, when you install an operating system such as windows xp and then register the product. The key itself is regestered to your computers bios so it can't be used on another computer legally. i'm sorry to say you will have to purchase a new key or a new copy of windows xp
Well that doesnt seem right to me, but if that's the way it works i guess that's what you have to do.

KingCobra1064 said:
Well that doesnt seem right to me, but if that's the way it works i guess that's what you have to do.
Trust me it's true. My husband deals with it all the time where he works.

pugmug

Banned
Simulated,sorry but incorrect. You buy a retail copy and you can install in on any computer you want but only one computer at any one time, as in move it to a different computer after removing it from the first one. Also, if it is an oem or dsp version c/d and the mobo or hard drive fails you can reinstall it,call MS and tell them what you did and they will give you a new key to put in for installing the o/s.

If the computer that Windows XP is on is a brand name like Dell, Compaq etc then you can not use the Windows XP on any other machine basically because the Windows OS is written for the Motherboard and processor for that brand of computer and the Windows will not work in another computer.

This is a little bit easier way of explaining what our distinguished member pugmug just posted and he is 100% correct.

delta_kilo

The original computer that had a retail version ( I purchased) of windows install was not a dell or any other brand name just one that I built up from parts. So it sounds like I can call MS and they will issue a new key is this correct?

it should be. You can try installing it with the old key to see if it will work, and if not call MS and they should give you a new one.
Having to buy something you already have doesnt quite seem right to me...

You don't need a new key . . use the one that came with the Retail version to install. . you should not have any problem activating, but if you do, it is a quick and painless call to Microsoft to activate it.

pugmug said:
Simulated,sorry but incorrect. You buy a retail copy and you can install in on any computer you want but only one computer at any one time, as in move it to a different computer after removing it from the first one. Also, if it is an oem or dsp version c/d and the mobo or hard drive fails you can reinstall it,call MS and tell them what you did and they will give you a new key to put in for installing the o/s.
No that is what I told him. You can only install it on one pc. Once installed on one pc, you can't install on another unless you buy another key. I know. I've tried and my husband deals with it daily at work.
Previous post by me:
so what I said is correct. Now if you buy new copy of window and install it, but don't register or activate it, then you can put it on another computer. But in doing that, the use of the windows is only 1 month.

If you bought a retail version of Windows XP, you can install it on one PC. You can legally remove that copy of XP from the original machine, and install it on another machine, or even sell it. Here is what Microsoft EULA says about it:

"13. SOFTWARE TRANSFER. Internal. You may move the Software to a different Workstation Computer. After the transfer, you must completely remove the Software from the former Workstation Computer. Transfer to Third Party. The initial user of the Software may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and Software to another end user, provided the initial user retains no copies of the Software. This transfer must include all of the Software (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). The transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer, the end user receiving the Software must agree to all the EULA terms."

So, believe Microsoft. Install it on your new machine, using the original key. I suggest that when it asks you to activate Windows, select "by phone" and call the 800 number. You should have no problems.

By the way, "Workstation Computer" is what you have.

pugmug

Banned
Simulated, I would not tell a lie about software from the all mighty Microsoft. Bill Gates would banish me to the BSOD forever if I did. lol.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
FWIW, if it hasn't been activated for some time, it'll probably work automatically. In any case, try the automatic one first, you really don't want to go on hold to talk to someone in India if you don't have to. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online