Activating Windows?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

influence

When I re-configured my laptop recently, a few days after, I started getting a little pop-up that said I had a certain number of days to activate windows... so I clicked on it numerous times and it said "you have already activated windows, clik ok to exit" ... so I did. The same pop-ups kept happening, and I kept trying, but always the same prompt. So I guess time has expired to activate windows (even though it always said that I already did) and now I cant log in! When I turn on my computer it tries to log on but then It says I must activate my windows before logging on, but then it says I am already activated. Then I try to log on and it repeats the same message. Sorry for the novel guys, but Im desperate to fix this problem! I have windows xp. Any advice will help!

Boot into Safe Mode and delete the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder, and reboot. With those files no longer there, Windows XP will have to reactivate, because it reads them when it checks to see if it is activated.

Restart your computer, as its starting tap the F8 Key repeatedly as it boots, you should get to a boot selection, There you will see safe mode, safe mode networking, safe mode C prompt etc....

Select safe mode and see if it boots, if not, then choose safe mode command prompt and delete the two files.

influence

Tried what you suggested, problem though. wpa.dbl was there and I deleted it, but wpa.bak wasnt. I have windows xp professional, i dont know if its different for me. But I tried restarting in any case and same problem. I made sure to show all system files and extensions when looking. any ideas?

It should be there (doesn't matter if it's pro or home)...Is this a new installation?

Click start, Control panel, click tools, folder options, view tab, you will need to check show hidden files and folder, as well as uncheck hide operating system files.

browse for it again after that, you should see it.

influence

i'll try your suggestion. it was installed a month ago. I think time ran out to activate, but you know the story, it always told me I was activated. I have got to get to bed, I'll try it again and before i sleep, but if no luck I'll post a thread tomorrow. Thanks for all your help I appreciate it sooooo much.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online