1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Activation Code Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bjf98, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bjf98

bjf98 Thread Starter

Recently, I posted to ask about the compatibility of Windows XP with an old Windows 98 laptop a friend gave me. I successfully upgraded the system, and in that time, I have purchased a Wi-Fi card and I can now successfully connect to my router. My question is, when I logon, I get the nag that I have X Days to Activate Windows. Would I like to do so now? I click yes, and it takes me to the activation screen. I choose the online method, skip the registration, and enter my key. It won't accept it. I used a Windows XP Home Edition CD from another laptop to upgrade. This laptop no longer runs that version of Windows, so I figured there would be no problem using the key from the bottom of the laptop. I read elsewhere that if the key is used on more than one system, it will tell you that, but mine just says "An Invalid Key Was Entered." What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So the computer doesn't have its own Windows XP key?

3. bjf98

bjf98 Thread Starter

As I mentioned in my above post, It is a laptop that was originally running Windows 98, so no, it doesn't have an XP key.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The key on the other laptop would be an OEM key, meaning it can only be used on that laptop, it can't be transferred to another system. You'll need to purchase another copy of XP.

5. bjf98

bjf98 Thread Starter

Okay, thanks.

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    something to think about.if by some chance u are able to buy a valid copy of windows xp either pro or home to use on this laptop u are making quite a jump from 98 to xp. u will have to make sure u have enough ram and a big enough hard drive to run xp properly and hope that xp drivers are available for your model of computer. if not im afraid u just might be out of luck.hope this helps u.

7. bjf98

bjf98 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I actually already have XP running fine on the laptop, now I just need an activation code. I'll probably just downgrade it back to 98...I'm not looking into purchasing an XP license right now.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

The key is not the same as your activation code. You can't skip that part because the activation code is calculated on the basis of the product key nad a hardware hash, but is not the same thing.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice