1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Activation key isn't valid but still allowed to activate?!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by II_DeLo_II, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. II_DeLo_II

II_DeLo_II Thread Starter

Maybe I am missing something, but here is what I did:

I had purchased 3 XP Pro UPGRADE CDs about 3-4 years ago.

I installed them on my computer, and two other computers for my family right after purchase.

The other day I reformatted my HD. I was reinstalling everything on my computer when I installed XP and used the wrong activation key to activate XP (I didn't look at the box label and I used one of the keys that was for my mother's computer)....however, I was still able to activate XP. I also downloaded the WGA and it didn't nag me that my copy might not be genuine.

How is this possible? Obviously our system's hardware is different, shouldn't it have denied me access to activation? Should I go back and re-install XP and use the correct activation key or is this not a big deal?

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    well if it was me for peace of mind i would reinstall with the proper code. that way you know things are all legal. besides if you have ever have a computer problem the tech will have the right code for the computer and will be able to fix it if its fixable.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice