Activation key storage.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PDDET

My XP machine is getting a bit quirky and I'm thinking of doing a clean install. The problem is that the hard copy of the activation key to some of my favorite software is missing. Normally I save the e-mail confirmation, but a crash four years ago wiped out that avenue.

My question is where does XP store the software activation keys? Is it stored in a readable form?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
My XP machine is getting a bit quirky and I'm thinking of doing a clean install.
Not to get off the subject here, but make sure that you have that computer's devices(chipset, graphics controller, audio controller, network adapter, etc.) identified and that you obtain and save the XP drivers for them before you start.

Are you doing a clean install with an actual XP CD or with a recovery/restore CD kit?

The problem is that the hard copy of the activation key to some of my favorite software is missing. Normally I save the e-mail confirmation, but a crash four years ago wiped out that avenue.
That's why I print off the e-mail or website confirmation notices and save them in a notebook.

---------------------------------------------------------------

JennyJackson01

Account Closed
Hiya PDDET.

XP activation changes hexadecimal strings deep inside the registry and even if you find them, they`re not readable as anything particular unless you know how to read them.

If you`re re-installing using the same hardware, there shouldn`t be a problem and you`ll be able to activate it again once it`s finished installing. If you change something major like the mobo & CPU and then try a re-install, you may have to use the phone on activation and explain why the machine is so different.

Jenny

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
You can retrieve your XP and Office keys using Magical Jellybean Keyfinder, or Belarc as posted above. Some of the others might be found in readable form in the registry. These are usually in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software, under a key or subkey that is the software product name or manufacturers name. If all else fails and you bought the product on the Internet, email the company and request the key.

PDDET

Thanks to everyone who responded. Like everything else in life, it probably won't be as easy as I had hoped, but it won't be entirely impossible either.

PDDET

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts