1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Activation key storage.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PDDET, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PDDET

PDDET Thread Starter

My XP machine is getting a bit quirky and I'm thinking of doing a clean install. The problem is that the hard copy of the activation key to some of my favorite software is missing. Normally I save the e-mail confirmation, but a crash four years ago wiped out that avenue.

My question is where does XP store the software activation keys? Is it stored in a readable form?

2. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
  3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Not to get off the subject here, but make sure that you have that computer's devices(chipset, graphics controller, audio controller, network adapter, etc.) identified and that you obtain and save the XP drivers for them before you start.

Are you doing a clean install with an actual XP CD or with a recovery/restore CD kit?

That's why I print off the e-mail or website confirmation notices and save them in a notebook.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya PDDET.

XP activation changes hexadecimal strings deep inside the registry and even if you find them, they`re not readable as anything particular unless you know how to read them.

If you`re re-installing using the same hardware, there shouldn`t be a problem and you`ll be able to activate it again once it`s finished installing. If you change something major like the mobo & CPU and then try a re-install, you may have to use the phone on activation and explain why the machine is so different.

Jenny

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You can retrieve your XP and Office keys using Magical Jellybean Keyfinder, or Belarc as posted above. Some of the others might be found in readable form in the registry. These are usually in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software, under a key or subkey that is the software product name or manufacturers name. If all else fails and you bought the product on the Internet, email the company and request the key.

6. PDDET

PDDET Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who responded. Like everything else in life, it probably won't be as easy as I had hoped, but it won't be entirely impossible either.

PDDET

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice