1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

activation key

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by crassrock, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crassrock

crassrock Thread Starter

ok my friend bought an Emachine computer
    however his computer crashed, and i reinstalled windows xp using my upgrade cd i bought at best buy (his computer did not come with a restore cd)

ok now that i reinstalled windows xp its asking me for the activation key
    i tried putting the one that came with the xp cd but it woudlnt work

so what do i do now?

how do i activate it.?

thanks.

2. coderitr

coderitr

That's a violation of the license.

Buy a copy of the OS for his computer or call the manufacturer / vendor to get a restore disk.

You can't.

3. guidzilla

guidzilla

If this is legitimate and it was an emachines, i just rebuilt one for a relative and the xp key was on the back side of the case on a sticker.

4. lister

lister

The product key, the one that comes with the CD and that you enter during the install, isn't the activation code - that comes from Microsoft.

However, as you used your key, you won't get it to activate. The product key you should have used will be on a sticker on the machine somewhere.

and

5. lycos5

lycos5

does the emachine have a recovery partition ? if yes, try reinstalling windows with it.

6. Dave D

Dave D

Why wouldn't you be able to use the key that is on the machine? Technically isn't that number paid for? Why would the CD matter? Also can't you change the key through Microsoft?

7. crassrock

crassrock Thread Starter

so what i could do is

reinstall windows xp, but using the prodcut key on the sticker that came with the emachine?

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Only if the version of XP on your CD is the same. Not just that it's XP, but also an OEM version etc, or the CD key on the case will probably fail.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/453502

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice