Activation time running out

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

freemtnhermit

My neighbor's computer (Dell Windows XP) crashed and was discarded. Someone gave them an IBM without an OS. They installed their Dell Windows XP into the IBM. When they tried to activate it before the 30 days, a message came up stating it was the wrong Key number. Does anyone know what to do to activate this or how to obtain the correct Product ID Key number?:(

That is tied to the Dell computer and won't work on another computer. You will have to buy a Windows XP install CD.

freemtnhermit

Augie65 said:
That is tied to the Dell computer and won't work on another computer. You will have to buy a Windows XP install CD.
Ahh, but it has worked you see. At least so far. I fear after the thirty days it will not though.

As Augie65 explained, the product key is valid on the Dell only.

freemtnhermit

Kitch said:
As Augie65 explained, the product key is valid on the Dell only.
Well, Kitch, thought you'd be interested to know, Microsoft gave my friend a "new" product key #, and even asked how many of their computers were running this copy of XP. Microsoft talked her through it and they are now set. Never give up hope of "miracles" at this time of years! :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online