1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Active Desktop froze.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RSengupta, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSengupta

RSengupta Thread Starter

Win 2000.
    This is weird:
    As I was typing this:
    I cannot open items in the control panel.
    I cannot open 'My Computer'.
    I cannot open Internet explorer from the shortcut or the Start Menu.
    But - since I have MSN messenger - I can get on line from there - and I'm using IE as I type - but only because I got to Google through MSN & then saved my Google homepage as a shortcut to the desktop.
    I pretty much can't open anything on the desktop - not even the folders that are on there.

I went back to the desktop to quote the exact error messages I was getting -and now I can get into everything . . .
    This is worrying - as I didn't really do anything to fix anything - except - I WAS able to change the background on the desktop to 'None' by using the following command: control desk.cpl which allowed me to get to my display properties.
    Baffled.
    Relieved [perhaps temporarily?]
    . . . but baffled
    Does any of this ring a bell?
    I'd appreciate help.
    Also - if this sounds viral . . . I don't have anti-virus and I'd appreciate advice about which one to get.
    And - firewall???
    I hope this is one of those 'stupid questions' that are easy to answer!!
    :)
    :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!