ACtive Desktop missing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

relcalif

Hi,

I recently reinstall WinNT on my Dell computer. I was anxious to set up DUN so I installed the IE5.5 that came with my Quickbooks CD. Surprisingly the Active Desktop does not come with IE5.5. I have run all the service packs and critical updates but the Active Desktop is not included. I can live without most of the Active Desktop features except for Send to and Show Desktop. Where do I find the patch for the Active Desktop? It originally was installed when I ran Service Pack 2 for IE4. Since I skipped that step I don't know what to do.

Thanks for the Help,

first i must ask why you want to use active desktop. it's such a waste of time. it has been proven to actually slow down performance and in many cases, with some video cards, it causes refresh rate problems. if you really want Active Desktop, reinstall IE 4.

Send To and Show Desktop are not active desktop features, they are Windows features, you should have them w/o Active Desktop.

Brooks

As volrathxp stated those are not actually part of Active Desktop, but in NT were only available with the IE 4 install as part of the desktop update. There is a way to get those back in NT, what you will need to do is go to Microsoft and download the Internet Explorer Administration Kit at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ieak/default.asp

When you run it, you will come to a page called Corporate Install Options. On this page is a setting that you will want to check labeled Integrate the windows Desktop. Check this one and finish creating the package. Don't set any of the security features unless you are sure you know what they do. You can lock yourself out of parts of windows like not being able to add printers or browsing the network. I would recommend leaving everything at the defaults except the Integrate desktop setting.

Almost forgot, on the media selection choose the option for a flat install. The download install is only for placing the install on a webserver. And make sure when you do the install, to state that you are using this for corporate rather than an ISP. The options are very different with the two.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts