1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Active Directory Cleanup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sting06, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sting06

sting06 Thread Starter

I'm in the process of creating a plan to eliminate unused computer and user objects within an Active Directory domain. Over time the AD was not managed correctly and now, we have a host of issues with our AD and are going to start running in to licensing issues soon. We thought a good place to start would be to get rid of any computer and user objects no longer in use.

We have a physical count of about 350 computers on the network, while we report from AD with having almost 500. There is no telling how many user accounts are lurking around either.

I have an idea of where to start, but at the same time I don't want to do anything too risky as we all know the ramifications of deleting a computer or user account in an AD accidentally.

Basically what I am after is the most painless way of finding out what computer and user objects are no longer in use so they may be deleted.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Well there is Oldcmp (do a goole search on it) and there is the non freeware Active Directory Janitor then there is this tool here -

http://www.absolutedynamics.com/inactive-users/product.htm

I am sure you could query AD with a VBS and get an output on some of this as well but I'm sure you owuld have to fiddle with the code a little.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!