1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Active Directory Help

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Tim Underwood, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tim Underwood

Tim Underwood Thread Starter

Hi.

I am trying to get AD working on my PC, but i keep getting the message:

Naming information cannot be located for the following reason:
    The server is not operational.

And i don't know how to get rid of it . I have tried putting in the server name and the domain name but it still doesn't like it. . .

please can you help me understand this mesage and what to do. . .

2. renegade X

renegade X

What is the staus of your domain? Does the client computer that you are installing AD on have the appropriate permissions in the computer account? Have you ran DCPROMO from the domain controller? I have experience with implementing a new domain, so I can get you past the bumps.

3. Tim Underwood

Tim Underwood Thread Starter

Thank you for replying! I'm really grateful!

The domain is working fine - AD is running OK on other PC's around the site. . . And i know i have the right permissions as i am set to Administrator and a Domain Admin too. When i add a domain controller it works for a minute, but then when i close and re-open it doesnt work again. . . What is the DCPROMO?

Regards
    Tim

4. renegade X

renegade X

DCPROMO is what you run to promote a server to a domain controller, but appearantly this is not the issue. So other clients can use AD okay? If it is only one computer, maybe try resetting the computers network account. Maybe go as far as deleting it and recreate. If that does not work. Verify in the the local groups that the account that you are logging in as is within the administrator group. Also verify the all policies are pushing tom the computer by going to DOS and typing "gpupdate /f".

If none of this works, I have a few more things in mind.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544286

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice