1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Active Directory Question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tushkahoma, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tushkahoma

tushkahoma Thread Starter

There are times when I open active directory to make a change to a users account that I run into this problem, I receive an error message stating the the server is not operational and can't connect. So then I go to the server room and it is working fine and I make the change there. What could be causing this, I have checked the mapping and that is fine.

2. columbo

columbo

From the machine that you're trying to access AD from, have you installed the latest Service Pack?

Also, are your DNS settings on this client machine properly configured?

Only other possible fix I came across was related to TCP/IP filtering (on the DC):

1. Right-click My Network Places on the domain controller which won't connect the Active Directory tool and press Properties.

2. Right-click the network connection that you use and press Properties.

3. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), on the General tab, and press Properties.

4. Press the Advanced button.

5. Select the Options tab.

6. Select TCP/IP Filtering and press Properties.

7. Make sure that TCP Ports is configured for Permit All.

8. Press OK until the 'shutdown' message appears.

9. Shutdown and restart the domain controller.

3. tushkahoma

tushkahoma Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply,
    The properties for tcp/ip filtering on the DC were set to allow all so it has to be something else, this problem seems to come and go. Yesterday I had no problem but this morning it would not come up even when I tried to connect to the DC. This is strange indeed.

Update: Just tried again and this time it worked the only thing I did different was when I checked to tcp/ip filtering on the DC I did not actually go to the machine I used a program called VNC and checked it with that, after I closed VNC I was able to connect to Active Directory.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice