1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Active Directory Seriously Ill

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jr5270, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jr5270

jr5270 Thread Starter

H E L P ! ! !
    I have a Win2000 server, main DC for 80 users with Active Directory. We don't use Exchange and I wanted to remove it. Tried uninstalling but that messed up our IIS webpage, so I restored system state and all was fine.
    Then I followed Microsoft directions for manually removing Exchange. Still messed up IIS webpage (said it's under construction) even though IIS was reinstalled. At the same time it messed up Active Directory even though system state was restored to earlier good state, and all I can figure is it happened because the Exchange object was deleted from AD.
    Now my 2nd Win 2000 DC won't recognize or see anything on the entire network but itself, although it can be accessed across the network and does replicate AD from the other server. It doesn't show the other 2 domains on NT servers except when I was rebooting the main 2000 DC.
    My users can't access some of their folders on the main server (this server is a key file server for active work) so I have given some of them logons on one of the other domains, but it's an old domain I am phasing out and so still they can't access everything they need from one logon.
    Trust relationships are OK. DNS is OK. AD replicates to the other server. Creating new logons on AD doesn't help - they are as messed up as the old ones. No DHCP. No Internet connection, no connection to anything outside, no wireless access to the network - it is totally self-contained and internal.
    I took over this network with no training and don't know how AD works or where it is stored to get it back to normal. I have backups of everything but not sure what else to back up if the system state doesn't handle it. I've been reading everything I can find on AD but so far I don't get the problem.
    I really don't want to start over with a new AD.
    This is a disaster for me and my staff whose work is disrupted.
    H E L P ! ! !

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

First off start with some versions - Whats your OS service pack? What is your Exchange version and service pack?

I hate to say this but it would be nice to do the following. Do a full restore of the backup to get things working again. Then I would in fact leave exchange installed but just stop all of the exchange services and rip out the major files. The problem is any uninstall of Exchange will in fact mess with IIS the fact that this is so tightly integrated with IIS is all the OWA portion.

I have not seen a removal of Exchange that has not hit IIS in some way. The easiest thing is to shut down the exchange services and then pull out the major exchange files I.E. the information store and things of that nature.

I know its not clean but it does work to keep IIS intact. What I am not understanding is why simple things like file shares are not working. Are you sure nothing has been changed like IP and or DNS?

Just an FYI the AD information is in the System state restore - Read this on backing up and restoring AD - http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=7664
    This has a good portion of AD in it - http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/
    Under Active Directory Concepts
    Also check this out when you have some more time - afer your problem is fixed.
    http://labmice.techtarget.com/activedirectory/default.htm

3. jr5270

jr5270 Thread Starter

Sorry - OS is Windows 2000, service pack 4. I don't know the Exchange version but the server was set up 4 years ago and Exchange installed then.
    No service packs I'm sure because I recently installed the 2000 SP4 when I noticed no service packs.
    I checked the IP addresses of both DCs, the DNS, the domain trusts.
    The thing that sticks out is that when I restored the system state from earlier backups the Exchange object didn't end up back in Active Directory.
    I hadn't deleted it when I tried to remove exchange before, just this time.
    Active Directory is sluggish and doesn't like making new user accounts.
    I don't get how the file shares got messed up. It is only certain ones.
    And this thing with my 2nd DC not seeing anything on the network but itself is too illogical.
    Anything else I should check?

4. jr5270

jr5270 Thread Starter

For the record and anyone interested, more and more oddball things were happening and I apparently stumped every tech support forum I went to, so I went to Microsoft and paid for tech support. It was well worth it.
    The solution was demoting the 2nd DC with force, promoting it to a fake domain and then back to my own domain. That and cleaning up some metadata handled the problem and all was back to normal.

5. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Glad to hear you post back I had been wondering on this problem and it does look like a very logial solution... *hits forehead with hand*

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!