1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Active Directory Server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CrashBeta, Mar 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CrashBeta

CrashBeta Thread Starter

i am Setting up an Active Directory server "Top level Domain" For my Home Network already have a domain on the internet lets say its corpxyz.com , the Server at home has a Dual Port NIC and My Question Comes in on my Netgear Wireless access Point side, i know i have to set everything Static in the AP, because the Server is going to be a DHCP server as well , what is the best Usage on the server Side to make this happen , Seamless Integration into the AD would great, and Just a thought of Having a second Wireless AP for the Server Side AD into the Second NIC of the server, and the Existing AP as the Internet DHCP Router. For users that are Not on the OU and AD Server "will be taken Down Eventually"
    God i hope this all makes Sense. Thanks everyone.

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Actually no, you are not making any sense.
    Why are you setting up an Active Directory forest in the first place?
    And why not let your Gateway be the DHCP server?
    If you want to keep guests and internal users on different networks, that can be done from most AP.

If you could share your overall plan, I am sure someone will chime in and help.
    If you really need to stand up an AD forest, you need to know what you are doing, so there must be an explicit need that cannot be fulfilled any other way, remember, unless you are using a SBS you will need to shell out for Client Access Licenses ($$$$)

3. CrashBeta

CrashBeta Thread Starter

Here is a conceptual Diagram from the last post

Attached Files:

4. CrashBeta

CrashBeta Thread Starter

Server 2008 Enterprise Setting up a Active Directory to Use for my Business to control Users And machines on the network and DFS Shares For Different Users "Security" also setting up a Site VPN from other Sites, Now, i guess one of my Main Question is i already have a Hosted Domain on the Web xyzcorp.com do i need to use xyzcorp.com Hosting DNS Servers IP for my DNS server in the AD or Do i use my ISP DNS Settings,
    i just have Mega Tons of Questions on this scenario , any help would be great, "technically" not a TOP level domain that already xyzcorp.com, so it would be buis.xyzcorp.com

5. fishscene

fishscene

If I might add a slight modification:
    Instead of plugging the AP into the server, plug it into the switch and disable the DHCP server on the AP and your firewall. Your Firewall will grab your WAN IP address just fine from your ISP - just set your WAN port to get the IP address automatically via DHCP. No problems there.

Your AD server will become the DHCP/DNS server for your network. When setting up DHCP, I'd recommend starting from x.x.x.20-x.x.x.250 (That'll give you plenty of IP addresses above and below the DHCP pool to manually configure IP adresses for your Networking equipment and servers/etc..

For example:
    Firewall/NAT: 192.168.1.1
    AP1: 192.168.1.5
    AP2: 192.168.1.6
    Server: 192.168.1.10

Also, you can pretty much set your domain to anything you want, but it will cause problems if you try to access websites with that domain. (example, setting your domain to "google.com" will have all your clients pointing to your server instead of the real google.com)

If you want to make it the same domain as the domain you pay for, be sure to add a manual DNS (A Record?) entry on your server for "www" and point it to the IP address of your website.

So if your LAN domain is "xyzcorp.com" and your webisite is "www.xyzcorp.com" (111.222.333.444). Make a DNS entry and point "www" to 111.222.333.444

If your website was "moo.xyzcorp.com" (111.222.333.444). Make a DNS entry and point "moo" to 111.222.333.444

P.S. Just use the DNS servers from your ISP or another trusted DNS server. It sounds like you're talking about the DNS records for your website- don't mess with those unless you really know what you are doing.
    Also, it sounds like you're setting up a first-time Domain. If you're adding this to an existing domain network, you'll want to join your server to the Domain as a Domain controller (AFTER you set up the VPN so your LAN server can talk to the remote Domain controller).

Hope this helps!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!