1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Active Directory Setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TheOnlyGonzo, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheOnlyGonzo

TheOnlyGonzo Thread Starter

I currently have an AD domain using Server 2K3 (call it working domain) that has ~45 users and 12 member servers.

When I setup this domain, I was not given any recommendations for naming, so I made that decision myself. Now the powers that be would like for the root of the forest to be "company name.com" instead of what it is now.

I am in no way an expert in AD, as this domain is only my third build using AD.
    I would like to know if there is a way to move a domain controller, that is currently the root server, into another domain as a child domain controller all while keeping the users intact. I would imagine that I would have to rejoin all the member servers to this new domain but I would like to keep the current setup of the working domain controller.

Also the working domain controller serves as WINS, RADIUS, DNS (internal), and DHCP. And several of the member servers are running SQL 2005, and Visual Source Safe.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure (under those conditions) you would have to demote the domain controller and re-promote it later.

3. TheOnlyGonzo

I will try that, I am currently reconfiguring my test environment as I was making some changes in hopes of finding out what would happen when certain changes are made. So now I'm reimaging them to be back at working setup minus the users.
    Any other suggestions.

4. TheOnlyGonzo

OK. Back to a working AD setup for working domain. Also have the potential root server setup also.
    When I demoted the working domain controller, it wiped all the users and computers. At that point I was able to run dcpromo again and put it in as a child domain within the new domain. Not exactly like I wanted it to go, because now I have to recreate all users.
    Still stuck and wondering if this is even possible.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!