1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Active Directory

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mike_electron, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike_electron

mike_electron Thread Starter

I have a windows 2003 domain server. the problem is that mostly twice a week (with no particular days) i need to restart the server because the workstations connected to the domain cannot connect anymore. and to make them connected again, is i need to restart the server to refresh the server.

any idea regarding on this problem?

2. rhynes

rhynes

You need to tell us about your setup... Is your server running dhcp, dns and wins? If wins isn't installed do so.

Most problems regarding connectivity is related to dns issues, incorrectly assigned primary dns server. Your primary dns should be your domain controller in a single server environment. Do your workstations take a while to log on and get to the desktop? Run ipconfig /all from a command prompt and post the results minus any identifying information.

Run nslookup from a command prompt on both the server and a workstation, it should return your servername.domainname.suffix, if it doesn't then you have found one of your problems.

Download the support tools from microsoft here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...78-8BE1-4E81-B3BE-4E7AC4F0912D&displaylang=en

Install to c:\support or something. Navigate to that directory in dos and run the following commands.

dcdiag /v >dcdiag.txt
    netdiag /v >netdiag.txt

Check the created txt files, any problems you're having will show up in these files. Post the results if you wish, again minus any identifying information.

3. mike_electron

my server was ok 6 months ago. no restarting in order to refresh the server and the workstations can connect again. im not using dhcp and the wins is ok. i found 1 bad stripe in my raid, does this one contribute to this failure?

4. srhoades

srhoades

The bad stripe shouldn't be an issue. Check the event viewer, specifically under system and DNS. Post any warning/errors.

5. mike_electron

[WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on DNS server '213.42.20.20'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
    [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on DNS server '195.229.241.222'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
    [FATAL] No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.

I have this message. how will i fix this one? do you think so this is the problem?

6. mike_electron

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\MBGSERVER
    Starting test: Connectivity
    * Active Directory LDAP Services Check
    The host cd26783f-3238-44af-bd1d-c2e44c08ba6d._msdcs.MBGLAB.COM could not be resolved to an
    IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
    Although the Guid DNS name

(cd26783f-3238-44af-bd1d-c2e44c08ba6d._msdcs.MBGLAB.COM) couldn't be

resolved, the server name (mbgserver.MBGLAB.COM) resolved to the IP

address (192.168.0.10) and was pingable. Check that the IP address is

registered correctly with the DNS server.
    ......................... MBGSERVER failed test Connectivity

this one is is dcdiag.txt

7. rhynes

rhynes

Those ip's are probably your ISP's dns server addresses. Your server and workstations are trying to authenticate to those addresses and cannot...

On the server, change the primary dns server IP to your domain controllers IP. It should be looking for itself, basically. Change the primary dns servers in your dhcp for the workstations as well. You do not need the ISP dns servers in dhcp, add them to the server forwarders in the dns snapin.

Are you running DHCP from your server or the firewall?

Restart the server and try again.

8. rhynes

rhynes

If you're running DHCP on the server, please post all of your scope options as well. You'll find them under the dhcp snapin.

9. mike_electron

i dont use dhcp in both my firewall machine and the server 2003.

10. rhynes

rhynes

You really should consider installing and running dhcp from the server. Do you have WINS installed? If not, you should... either way, i guess it's safe to assume your workstations are statically assigned?

What's the primary dns on the workstation? Again, it should be the domain controller IP address, no other servers. If forwarders are configured, you won't need them. Remember, your DC is your local dns server...

Change the IP addressing on one workstation, then run nslookup from a command prompt on that workstation. Post your results.

11. mike_electron

the ip address of my server is 192.168.0.10, my isp give me 213.42.20.20.

i put 213.42.20.20 in the dns server address. am i correct?

12. mike_electron

my network is setup like this: ISP>Router>Firewall>Switch>Server and Workstations

13. mike_electron

i couldnt view also the log in the event viewer..and i cannot start the service performance and alert logs

14. rhynes

rhynes

No... On the server, open the network connections and change your preferred dns server to 192.168.0.10. Do no add the 213.42.20.20 to the dns servers here. Pick one workstation and do the same. When you're done, you should have something like this after running ipconfig /all on the server.
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
    If you don't have wins installed, do it.

Open the dns snapin under administrative tools. Right click on your server name. Click on the forwarders tab. Add your ISP dns servers there, and only there.

Think of your domain as a completely separate entity, your computers and workstations need to be told how to access the domain. This is done with the preferred dns server.

15. rhynes

rhynes

ISP>Router>Firewall>

Do you have managed internet? Not that it matters at this point...

Keep in mind the default gateway address may have to be changed to reflect your firewall IP.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!