active x and security

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Veen

When I try to get into my banking or my windows update on IE 6
version 6.02800.1106.XPSP1.020828-19201C, 128 bit (updates SP1, Q328970, Q324929)I get this message:
Your current security settings prohibit running active x controls on this page. As a result the page may not be displayed correctly.
Then it has ok on the bottom.
Can you tell me what I have to do to correct this. Thank you for your help.

Hi Veen

To start with try this - go to Tools\internet options\security\custom level - set your "activeX controls and plugins "to

prompt
disable
disable
prompt
prompt

When the box pops up asking if you want to run activeX........
say yes on the sites that you trust (banking) and no on ones you do not trust

steam

While what Steamwiz told you is all good, you might become annoyed with all those popup prompts. Here is another way.

You should use your security zones in IE. In the bottom right corner of IE, you see and indication of what zone you are in. If you double click on it, you will open up a window where you can see that there are open zones (Internet), secure zones (Trusted Sites) and unsecure zones (Restricted Sites).

For the Internet zone, you should disable all scripting and Active X settings using the Custom Level button. Then, for the Trusted Sites, you can enable what you need. When you visit your bank web site, go into Trusted Sites and add your bank's web address.

From now on, when you are surfing the web and those error messages come on, you can add the site you are at (if you trust it) to the Trusted Sites zone.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online