1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Active X controls on Explorer 5

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Sue Hunt, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sue Hunt

Sue Hunt Thread Starter

Now I am getting double messages in my email! Same message same time in other words all mail is coming in twice. STRANGE THINGS GOING ON HERE!:confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Give up. I don't know which version of Internet Explorer you are using. Uninstall it. Revert to the previous version. Then try to download IE again if you want to upgrade it.

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

If you're using Hotmail, that double message thing happens all the time. All my messages download twice, It's very common.

Do a Virus scan to make yourself feel better, then remove IE and start with a fresh copy.

4. Sue Hunt

Sue Hunt Thread Starter

I did the virus scann today and the Fix the Explorer worked but nothing has changed and I am afraid to takie out Explorer 5 because I may not be able to download it again!:eek:

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

what version of Windows are you using please? If it's winodws98 or ME, Internet Explorer is a part of theoperating system. You won't be removing IE, you will be reverting to the previous version. Other than that, I don't know what else to suggest to you.

One quick question. Are you using a program called Safe And Sound from McAfee?

6. Sue Hunt

Sue Hunt Thread Starter

Windows 98 yes, Internet Explorer 5 and I just downloaded a new full package from Yhaoo which means new name pass word new email and messenger and the messenger still does not work! Now I don't know if I should go to Yhaoo and delete my new stuff or my old stuff :( This is a PAIN :confused: You have been so kind. Do you do this every day and if so do you have a supply of Asprin!
    Sue

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Yahoo Messenger. Try this. Uninstall it using the uninstall in Add Remove programs. Then go and find the Yahoo Messenger folder, Delete it. Find the windows\cookies folder and remove any Yahoo cookies you have. Empty Temporary Internet Files. Find Windows\temp and empty the contents. Reboot.

Download and install Yahoo again. Did it work?
    If not try another download. Here's a nice little program called Irfanview. It's a wonderful graphics viewer. Install it or not. I want to see whether this stuff is really Downloading. Also, do you use the Safe and Sound Program from Mcafee? it can cause problems. When you are downloading are you remembering to turn off your Anto Virus? that can sometimes interfere too.

And you may still have a faulty Browser. The need to revert to a previous version to correct the problems.

You can try to install a fresh copy of the Virtual Machine as discussed earlier.

However, Msoft did say that the activex messages required a
    reinstall of Internet Explorer. If you cannot download properly, revert to the previous version and see if that works.

I forgot to answer your question. LOL Aspirin gives me heartburn. I do this everyday as a hobby. And therefore. I drink.

:rolleyes:

8. Sue Hunt

Sue Hunt Thread Starter

OK, I want to go for it but first please reply quickly how do I get to the link to get Internet Explorer back when I boot up again?

9. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

which version of Windows 98 do you have? If Second edition you already have IE 5x there. IF first, you have Ie4x, i think. You will have a working version of IE. You can go to windows update and upgrade to IE 6. If you want to go to another verions instead post back and I'll get you a link.

Are your Downloads not working at all now?

10. Sue Hunt

Sue Hunt Thread Starter

Originaly it came with 4 I then updated to 5 but it does seem like I can not downlad, Everything comes up and it says download complete but nothing works that I download?

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

It sounds like you need to reinstall your Browser.

12. Sue Hunt

Sue Hunt Thread Starter

Ok please tell me step by step what do and I will print it out first and then go from there!:eek:

13. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Go to Control Panel>Add remove programs and scroll to the internet explorer entry. Highlight it. Click the remove button. Choose Restore the previous Windows Configuration.
    this will take you back to whatever version of IE was on the computer before you upgraded.
    After that, get on the internet and Download and upgrade.

Which version do you want to use?

IE5.01 SP2 is good. How would that be?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/download/ie501sp2.htm

or IE5.5 SP1
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/ServicePacks/IE/5.5/SP1.asp

or IE 5.5 SP2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/ie55sp2/default.asp

Or go to Windows Update and download IE 6.0

14. Sue Hunt

Sue Hunt Thread Starter

Ok, I am going to do it now also a question I had earthlink as my server on line but now the modem but everything to do with Explorer says supplied by earthlink. I tried to remove earthlink form my computer but it said my computer would not run properly without it?
    Sue

15. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

That;s important information. Is Earthlink your Internet Service Provider? How is your Internet connection set up? Is it possible you need to reinstall the ISP software?
    I don't know. Maybe another Earthlink user should help you. Don't remove IE. Get the facts first.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice