1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Active X Message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LordPython, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LordPython

LordPython Thread Starter

Whenever I visit a page that has an ad banner (or anything really) that uses Active X, I get a message saying that the page may not display properly due to my active X being disabled. I disabled Active X a while ago due to reading that some malware gets installed via Active X. However, I don't know if it's worth the precaution because now I get this popup box every single time I got to a page (or even refresh it). And on pages like Message Forums (not this one :) ) that have active x ads on every page, it gets REALLY annoying. So I have two questions.

1. Is it possible to leave Active X disabled, AND stop it from letting me know it's disabled every time?

or

2. A while ago, when I was on WinME I used a modified HOSTS file to redirect ads, and popup windows. Is there a HOSTS file (or equivelant) for XP that I could use so the active x won't even register?

2. 1101doc

1101doc

3. LordPython

LordPython Thread Starter

Well, I also have FireFox, which I use from time to time, but I am having to make the transition slow, cause I am so used to IE.

4. 1101doc

1101doc

Never got comfortable with FF. Just doesn't "feel" right to me. Took to Opera right away and never looked back. Hosts file works at the system level for all browsers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!