1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ActiveSync problems

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by DiverseCoder, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DiverseCoder

DiverseCoder Thread Starter

I used to have a directory in MyDocuments on my computer that all files on my PocketPC were synced to. I deleted this directory, but now I cant get it back. If I recreate the directory the files no longer sync, I have to drag them over manually.

Any idea how I can get back to syncing automatically?

I am using Windows XP, fully updated, ActiveSync 4.5, and what I am syncing is an iPaq and a MotoQ smartphone.

It used to work, but after I deleting the directories I cant find out how to go back.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Look in the ActiveSync Options. There should be a Files setting. Add the directory you want to sync.

3. DiverseCoder

Nope. No setting for files.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't have ActiveSync 4.5, but I do have ActiveSync 4, and I find it very hard to believe that there are no settings for synchronizing files. Post a screen shot of the window that opens when you click Options in ActiveSync.

5. DiverseCoder

I dont think it had any file setting in version 4.0 either. I use to use version 4.0

But I attached the screen shot.

Attached Files:

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I have version 4.1, and my Options window definitely doesn't look like that. I also have a Files option. I suppose you could try reinstalling ActiveSync, otherwise wait and hope someone with 4.5 comes along with more info.

7. Rude_Dog

Rude_Dog

DiverseCoder,

Plug your gadget into your PC and Open up ActivSync if it doesn't automatically open. In the lower half of the window, it should show details of your sync'ed information in a list. If this isn't displayed, click Show Details on the right side, just under the rotating logo. (You may have to wait for synchronization to complete, or click the Stop button in order to continue as written below).

In this list, each information type has an icon. Some of these information types have settings associated with them. To access the settings, right-click on the icon and select Settings from the context menu.

In your case, I believe you'll want to right-click on the Files icon and select Settings.

The File Synchronization Settings dialog should appear. At the top is a field named On this computer, synchronize the files in this folder:, which, ever so conveniently, cannot be edited (Thanks a lot, Bill). However, the text from that field is considered a "path" to the folder where ActivSync expects to be able to put your sync'ed junk.

Open up Windows Explorer (windows logo button+e) and copy the path text and paste it to the address bar of Windows Explorer, and click the Go button. If Windows Explorer actually navigates to a folder and gives no errors, then that's where you're supposed to find all of your junk.

If instead, Windows gives you an error like Windows cannot find 'drive:\pathname'. Check the spelling and try again, or try searching for the item..., then this probably means that ActivSync can't find this folder either, and ActivSync isn't going to throw all of your junk in it.

In this case, you'll need to create a folder with just the right name, and in just the right location, so as to match the path that you copied and pasted into Windows Explorer. Perhaps you only need to fiddle with the name of the folder you said you "re-created" so that it exactly matches the folder name mentioned in the path.

To test your folder, copy the path from the File Synchronization Settings dialog into the address bar of Windows Explorer and click Go to test it again. if the contents of the folder is displayed (perhaps nothing to display if the folder is empty), and you get no errors, then at least this part's done.

Turn back to the File Synchronization Settings dialog and see if anything is listed in the Synchronized files list. Hopefully, everything you've always wanted to sync is still listed there. Otherwise, you'll have to edit that list to get it to sync files the way you want.

Hope this helps...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!