1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ActiveX Control Problems?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by heraldic1, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heraldic1

heraldic1 Thread Starter

Hello All

First of all I hope this is the right place to post this query. Secondly, I am a computer novice so please don't assume any knowledge on my part :)

OK. Here goes. I've been invited to play Scrabble on Facebook by a friend. When I click on the link to play it I get this message:

Your security settings do not allow websites to use ActiveX controls installed on your computer. This page may not display properly. Click here for options...

....the options page just takes you to a catch all type Windows help facility that I haven't found...errr....much help!

I've tried Googling it and haven't come up with a definitive answer to sort it out yet.

My current settings for ActiveX, achieved through, Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom Level>ActiveX Plug ins and Controls are as follows:

Allow previously unused ActiveX(AX) controls to run without prompt = enable

Allow scriptlets = prompt

Auto prompt for AX controls = enable

Binary and script behaviour =enable

Display video and animation on a webpage that doesn't use external media = disable

Download unsigned AX controls = disable

Initialise and script AX controls not marked as safe for scripting = disable

Run AX controls marked as safe for scripting = enable

It is a laptop with regularly updated Windows, I think it is XP service pack 2 but not certain, it might be SP 3. I'm using IE 7. If any more information is required please feel free to ask. I have also tried it on my desktop, which has a similar set up and it won't work on it either.

I use Zone Alarm for firewall and AVG for AV. I also use Ad Aware, Spyware Blaster and Spybot. Windows Defender is loaded as well.

With the set up above I don't seem to be able to run the ActiveX controls that are required to make the Scrabble program work.

Anyone out there able to give any suggestions to help out?

Please feel free to talk down to me as you would a computer idiot, it will probably save us all a lot of time ;-)

Thanks to anyone that can help with this matter.

heraldic1

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Since the error message says "active X controls installed on your computer", My guess the setting affecting you is this one:
    Initialise and script AX controls not marked as safe for scripting = disable

I wouldn't change that if I were you. Its just a game. Security is more important. The "game" maybe malware.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!