1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ActiveX miseries

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by velvi, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. velvi

velvi Thread Starter

Help! I cannot seem to use any online virus scanner. Typically I get variations of the following message:
    "You cannot access this page with your current browser settings. Please make sure that you are running Internet Explorer 5.01 or higher, with security settings that allow you to:
    Download signed ActiveX controls
    Run ActiveX controls and plugins
    Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting.
    You can do this by choosing the "Medium" default level under Tools | Internet Options | Security | Internet Zone. See Internet Explorer help for more information".

The trouble is: My security levels ARE set to Medium! I have even tried to set it to "low" to no avail.
    Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
    I encounter this problem on other online installations - with similar ActiveX type of messages.

2. Bman

Bman

You may have to set to a 'Custom level' instead of just setting the 'medium' level. Just go through the list a select the appropriate recommended settings. Do you possibly have another security or antivirus program that maybe preventing these controls and scripts from running?

3. velvi

velvi Thread Starter

Thanks. I already tried the custom level idea. I run Norton anti virus but so do tens of thousand other people. I do have SpyBot & I read there might be a connection but I have gone over the settings over & over (nothing blocked or immunized) & I disabled Google ad blocker What else???

4. Bman

Bman

Do you have script blocking turned on in Norton Antivirus? If so... try it with it turned off. Spybot should not be causing any problems.

5. rude

rude

Have you checked your firewall settings?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice