1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Actual download speed problems but good ping and speed test

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by David7424, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. David7424

David7424 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, x64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1917 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 , 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 333693 MB, Free - 268837 MB; D: Total - 9703 MB, Free - 2167 MB;
    Motherboard: ECS , Iris8, 1.0 ,
    Antivirus: Sunbelt VIPRE, Updated and Enabled

I'm having a problem with my download speeds. I don't have an ultra high connection, just 1.2 mb/s. My speed tests confirm that is exactly what I'm getting, but when I actually download something , it goes to 155kb/s and will go no higher. I've contacted my ISP and they say it's my computer. The speed test is showing what it should but I just can't get past 155. I've ran several malware, spyware and virus tests and they all come out clean. I'm at the end of my rope. Don't have a clue what to do next to get my speed up. This is what shows on IPCONFIG/ALL

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\David>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : David-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-90-06-2E-3D
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:28:40 AM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 25, 2011 10:28:39 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{B903302E-F2C3-4424-9F2F-818F9ECB2
    B46}
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

C:\Users\David>

2. Lorien

Lorien

Hi David7424,

I'm going to assume you're using Internet Explorer rather than some other browser. If some other browser, post back with the name and version.

First, we'll see if there's a problem with IE:

Try reviewing the following article:

Tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-Internet-Explorer

If that doesn't resolve the problem, then try the following two procedures in the order presented:

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode [Applies to IE7 & IE8 in all OSS]
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

How to optimize Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/936213/?p=1

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer issues in Windows Vista and in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

Hopefully, one of these procedures will resolve your problems with IE.

If that doesn't help, the following two procedures will disable your security software, so make sure you are only using one internet browser and only one tab and try to download something you KNOW is safe from a safe site and don't surf much until this is done and then make sure your security software is re-enabled (or replaced if you discover that is the cause).

Try a clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135. If the problem goes away then it's just a matter of tracking down the culprit causing the problem. Follow the procedures in the article. Once found, delete, remove, deactivate, or uninstall it. Once done be sure to reset Vista back to normal status as explained in the procedures. If the problem occurs in clean mode then just restore the system to normal status and reboot - this solution is not going to work.

Boot into Safe mode with networking and see if the problem occurs there. Either result helps us narrow down the search for the cause.

Your IPCONFIG basically looks fine, though I'm a bit confused why you have isolated the DNS Servers to a separate IP instead of having them come from the same place as everything else (192.168.1.1) and set the connection to get them automatically (which is how it is normally done). I don't think this is the cause of the problem, but it's possible. If you have a good and valid reason for this, that's fine - but if you don't know why either, I'd try to configure them like the others (which probably means setting the connection's ipv4 and ipv6 - there are several places - to use automatic DNS settings instead of that specified setting).

Please do the following (compliments of Shadowjk from www.vistax64.com, but slightly edited for this situation and forum):

1. Click Start>All Programs>Accessories

a. Right Click on Command Prompt and click on Run as Administrator

[​IMG]

b. You may need to Click Continue if a UAC Prompt appears

2. Once the Command Prompt windows opens please type in the following command:

ipconfig /all

Then Press Enter

a. This will provide some Information, Please upload a Snip of the Information when you reply.

Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories
    [​IMG]

b Click on Snipping tool - After that drag your mouse over the Command Prompt Window and save the file as a Jpeg - Then Upload the picture with your reply. You may need to do several snips to capture the entire output as it may not all fit on one screen. It typically takes two snips to get everything.

3. After you have done that please run the attached file AS ADMINISTRATOR (meaning after you have extracted the file from the zipped folder, right click it and then click on run as administrator) before you post your reply to see if it helps - and let us know if does or does not.
    Once the file has finished it will restart your computer and delete the file.

The Attached Batch File contains this Information:

Code:
    @Echo on
    pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
    attrib -h -s -r hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
    attrib +r +h +s hosts
    popd
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /flushdns
    netsh winsock reset all
    netsh int ip reset all
    shutdown -r -t 1
    del %0

I hope this helps. If not, post back with results of what happened and we'll try something else.

Good luck!

Attached Files:

3. David7424

David7424 Thread Starter

Your IPCONFIG basically looks fine, though I'm a bit confused why you have isolated the DNS Servers to a separate IP instead of having them come from the same place as everything else (192.168.1.1) and set the connection to get them automatically (which is how it is normally done). I don't think this is the cause of the problem, but it's possible. If you have a good and valid reason for this, that's fine - but if you don't know why either, I'd try to configure them like the others (which probably means setting the connection's ipv4 and ipv6 - there are several places - to use automatic DNS settings instead of that specified setting).

I didn't do any of that. I'm basically using Google to look up the things I don't know about and haven't changed anything yet.

4. Lorien

Lorien

That's fine. I'm just saying that the setup as it currently exists (whoever did it - someone set it up that way at some point whether you or someone else) is uncommon and may be involved in the problem. But this is for later (or may be skipped if you aren't comfortable making such changes) - try the earlier or even the later steps first.

Good luck!

5. David7424

David7424 Thread Starter

REALLY sorry about this, could've saved you a lot of wasted [but very appreciated] time by telling you I'm running the latest Firefox. I did go over to IE and it downloads even slower. Got to a whopping 13.5 kb/s. Reset all in IE and it didn't have any effect. Also ran the TCP Optimizer, and while it didn't get past 155kb/s on Firefox, it got there faster than before. Getting ready to take off for work, will try all recommendations later tonight or tomorrow and get back. Thank you very much for your time and effort.

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

If you have not done this,boot up in safe mode with networking.Any improvement ?
    Has this always been a problem ?

7. David7424

David7424 Thread Starter

The boot in safe mode didn't help. This has been a problem for awhile. I switched ISPs a few months ago and added a wireless router. But, even if I plug the cable srtraight into my computer, it still doesn't help. What confuses me is that the speed test is fine but the actual download won't get over 155 kb/s. Is seems like something is restricting the speed. Doesn't matter which browser I use, IE or Fox, same results. Almost ready to use the BFH fix.

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

This is far out but have you tried disabling your antivirus app and see if it helps ?

9. Lorien

Lorien

Hi David7424,

Only the very first part of my original post relates to IE specifically. The rest is generic for troubleshooting network-related problems regardless of the browser. The clean boot suggestiion (the first after the IE section) will, among other things, deactivate your security software so you'll be testing for problems with not just that software (as wisely recommended by pedroguy), but with many others as well - so I'd suggest trying that and if it works, start by adding the security software to see if that causes the problem - if so, then you'll know the cause and can post back and we'll help you with that. If not, continue with the process until you find the culprit. If clean boot doesn't help, then restore the system to normal and proceed to the next step.

If that doesn't work, then please proceed with the remainder of the suggestions.

I hope at least one helps fix or at least identify the problem.

Good luck!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!