1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AD-5540A drive not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spudbouner, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spudbouner

spudbouner Thread Starter

i have an Alienware laptop i just got. i had to reinstall win XP because the guy i sold my car for it installed a cracked copy of windows, and the drive worked fine. but i wipedrived it and reinstalled XP from the discs supplied with the laptop when it was bought, and now i can only play dvds on it, when it is in my laptop, but when i take it out and put it in my external DVD drive enclosure it works fine for everything. i cant it in the external enclosure because it requires its own power supply, and i cant always accomidate it. i have looked around at other sites and i have only found 1 fix. and i cant even see what it is because the page that that the link sends you to is too old and microsoft has deleted the post. so any help at all would be greatly appreicated.

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Did you try deleting the drive and rebooting?

3. spudbouner

spudbouner Thread Starter

yes i did. and the same thing happens. it sounds like its going to read the cd then it just stops. but i put a DVD in and it will play right away...

4. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice