1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ad-aware Beware?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by llo, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. llo

llo Thread Starter

I just wanted to post that I recently read on the lurkhere forum found at www.lurkhere.com entitled "ad-aware takes a dive" that ad-aware is no longer sufficient..in fact using it is considered dangerous because they havent had any updates in a long time...i guess they left everyone hanging. I have spybot and i am using that but i was curious if anyone over here had an opinion about this or had heard anything....i really liked ad-aware, what a shame. it was suggested to uninstall it...do you think i should, or just hold on and see...any opinions?:confused:

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

llo
    The statement is correct that AdAware is inadequate in its current 5.83 version. However AdAware is creating a new platform for its new AdAware I believe is to be released in Feb. 2003. There is a link to that fact somewhere here at TSG but I did not record the thread which had it. AdAware apologized for its inadequacies and explained that 5.83 was totally incompatible to the new program they were developing so a decision was made to not use manpower to upgrade it and spend the resources to develop and release the new project.

Maybe someone here recorded the link I mentioned.

Dave

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

4. llo

llo Thread Starter

thank you for that info! It is always good to be able to see both sides of the story and to hear all different point of views. I will be checking out there new release in Feb. But is it true that they just let everyone hanging? I am not really good at keeping up on stuff so i wouldnt know if they had informed the public right away or not...but what i read was that they still encouraged people to download 5.83 and they were still telling people to download updates, knowing there were none....is that just someones irate opinion, because there seemed to be alot of angry people posting over there about this..... did they really do that...? thanks again for the link it was helpful!! :D

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

llo
    If I may remain neutral and an outsider looking in my opinion of this whole situation is as follows:
    Lavasoft 5.83 was a great product up to date and quite effective but unfortunately had reached its capacity to handle newer type Spyware problems effectively without a major overhaul. Lavasoft realizing this situation decided to abandon engine 5.83 in preference for a newly designed engine. Their time table may of been a bit aggressive and they decided to allow 5.83 to carry through on the wings of success. Finding 6.0 a bit more of complex problem then first thought or maybe even manpower resource limited they fell behind in release thus initiating the press release in the forum to help lower the negative tone.
    Should AdAware have altered their main page to reflect the effectiveness level of 5.83? No I do not think so because doing so would have really hurt their business. IMHO they could of lowered the negative comments I believe by removing the flashing new tags on on the main download page preventing the aura of deception. http://www.lavasoft.nu/downloads.html
    No one will really know what dynamic played out during the past three months unless someone directly involved with the situation makes a statement. All else said is only speculation and opinion such as my statement above.
    I believe Lavasoft will produce a fine engine in 6.0 to meet most peoples expectations however the sour taste of delay may still remain for awhile.

Dave

6. llo

llo Thread Starter

THANK YOU DAVE, WELL SAID ;) I AGREE

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice