1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ad-Aware Free SE v1.04 works on 95 too

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by 2harts4ever, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2harts4ever

2harts4ever Thread Starter

Howdy all,

Good news for Win95 users.

There has been a lot of chatter on several forums the last few weeks about how Lavasoft excluded Win95 users from their new Ad-Aware SE Free version.

Problem solved!

Someone on the Lavasoft SE free forum found a work-around solution and it is posted here at this link:http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/inde...showtopic=41772

In a nutshell, the way I got it to work was I had someone download and install the new SE v1.04 program on his XP system. He then copied the 'Install' folder and sent it to me. I then pasted his 'Install' folder into my Programs folder and I was off to the races.

I have run each of the programs' scans with no problems whatsoever. The way I understand it is if a newer version comes out I will have to utilize the same method for the new version too. Hopefully by then Lavasoft will include we 95ers under their protection umbrella again.

Check it out and good luck!

Regards,

2harts4ever

2. hewee

hewee

3. 2harts4ever

Hi hewee,

Thanks for correcting my link. I am sure others are too. Gettting the 'work-a-round' to others is what is important and you are instrumental in that thanks to you taking the time to correct the link I posted.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

4. hewee

hewee

Your welcome 2harts4ever.

Your find that doing the very same thing will work on my other programs that you had to install. But more simple ones that keep everything in the one folder.

5. 2harts4ever

Hi hewee,

Very interesting. Thanks for this tip also.

Regards,

2harts4ever

6. hewee

hewee

Yea it is something you don't will work or not till you try it.
    I got some things I had to install but then copied them to a zip and can run them from the zip or copy to any PC. Some will install a .ini file in the windows folder but that is for what ever the program wants to save for user setting like last file it open etc. So that can be deleted. It will just make another the next time you open the program.

7. 2harts4ever

Hi hewee,

Appreciate the added explaination. Thanks again.

Regards,

2harts4ever

8. 2harts4ever

Hi all,

Just a quickie to let you know I successfully retrieved the new Ad-Aware SE update released today so that hurdle is out of the way.

Regards,

2harts4ever

9. hewee

hewee

Great to hear and I hope it is working ok too.

10. 2harts4ever

Hi hewee,

...still working ... still working ... still working ...lol

No problems yet.

Regards,

2harts4ever

11. hewee

hewee

Hey that's great. You get the VX2 Cleaner plugin too for Ad-Aware?

12. 2harts4ever

Hi hewee,

Not yet. Just checked it out this morning after your post. If I get a chance I will check it out further tonight after work. I will post back with the results whenever I get the opportunity to try it.

Is this 'VX2' something that gets on your computer and a normal SE scan won't detect it unless you use this special plug-in?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

13. 2harts4ever

Hi hewee,

Just a quick update on the 'VX2 cleaner' tool. I just successfully downloaded, installed and ran the plugin on my Ad-Aware SE program and it said my system was clean.

Looks like one more hurdle has been passed. Do you think any of the other plugins would do anything for me and my Win95 system?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

14. hewee

hewee

So it let you install the vx2 and worked.

No I guess that's it on the plugins. Now they have others for the AD-Aware so look here.
    But they are not really needed unless it cover you some how for a program you use.

http://www.lavasoft.de/software/addons/

But read up because some of the add-ons only work on AD-Aware SE Professional Edition.

15. 2harts4ever

Hi hewee,

Appreciate you coming back. I guess I will stop playing with the new SE for now and just let it do its job. Thanks for the link with the other program 'plugins'.

Have a great day.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!