1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ad-aware/quarantined items

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by plzhelp, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

hi everyone.. i have been using Ad-aware since 7-4-03 and since i have been using it as found some 395 objects to date. i have put all these in quarantine.

my question is can i delete these items or is it best to leave them where they are? thanks in advance for the help/advice. :)

2. $teve

$teve

hi............everything that adaware finds and quarantines can be safely deleted.

;)

3. winchester73

winchester73

Leaving the items in quarantine won't cause any problems ... similar to an anti-virus quarantine, these objects are removed and relocated where they can't do any damage.

I don't know what the 395 objects were in your case ... if they were mostly tracking cookies, they are perfectly safe to delete.

My general rule is to leave items in quarantine for a short period (preferably through a couple of re-boots) ... just to be sure all programs are functioning correctly. As an example, if you for some odd reason choose to use KaZaA, removing it's bundled objects will render that P2P uselss.

4. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

hi $teve and winchester73. i just looked at the objects that were quarantined. the first run i had was from obj. like GATOR, SEARCHEXPLOERBAR, LOP, ALEXA, HI WIRE, NAVEXCEL, OTHER AND TRACKING COOKIES.

after those they were mostly tracking cookies. so like winchester said earlier i will go ahead and delete the tracking cookies. the others i will leave until further notice.

THANKS so much for the help you guys! :)

5. winchester73

winchester73

I assume that you are running Ad-Aware 6 build 181, and that you have run webupdate recently to make sure you have the current reference file (one was released last night btw) ... It is imperative that you always have the current Build and Reference File in use to ensure the proper detection and removal of objects.

Also, have you only run a smart scan, or have you also run a full custom scan for a thorough deep cleaning?

6. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

yes, i am running the current version/build of AA 6. i just got the new ref. files and just finished a scan (always a full scan). it found 3 trackin cookies. thanks for the info. (y)

also did some a little browsing/reading and found downloaded IE-SPYAD which i think is also a good to have. http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#IESPYAD

IE-SPYAD is a Registry file (IE-ADS.REG) that adds a long list of known advertisers, marketers, and crapware pushers to the Restricted sites zone of Internet Explorer. Once IE-ADS.REG is "merged" into your Registry, most direct marketers and crapware pushers will not be able to resort to their usual "tricks" (e.g., cookies, scripts, popups, et al) in order to monitor and track your behavior while you surf the Net.

much appreciated!

7. winchester73

winchester73

Yes, ie-spyad is very useful ...

You might also want to visit http://www.wilderssecurity.net/index.html and download the following:

SpywareBlaster v2.6.1
    SpywareGuard v2.2

These will prevent Active-X drive-by installations, as well as provide real-time browser hijacking protection.

8. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

already have those installed with the latest updates.

thanks anyway!

9. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

btw...is there anything else you would recommed?

10. winchester73

winchester73

Do you have a firewall?

Other than that, I run Ad-Aware, ie-spyad, SpywareBlaster, and SpywareGuard ... that seems to keep things to an absolute minimum as far as aggravation.

11. plzhelp

plzhelp Thread Starter

yes, i already have all of those and they work very well. thx! (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice