1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ad-aware Question.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Nocontact, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

I just introduced my brother to Ad-aware. He found over a 100 components on his PC!! A new record I think :D
    I was just worried about telling him to go and wipe out all of the bad stuff but I heard you can damage your registry if you just dump everything. We're not in the same city so can anyone suggest a way that I can advise him to safely clean out the ad-ware but not do any damage to his system. Thanks.

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Nocontact: Ad-aware has a backup feature. Use that and then delete the files. That way if a file is deleted that shouldn't be, you can find it in back up. :) The 100 is not a record...mine was 249 the first time I used Ad-aware and I bet some have had more than that even. :D Take care. angel :)

3. angelize56

Nocontact: Also you can have your brother read the FAQ's for Ad-aware <a href="http://www.lavasoftusa.com/faq.html"> here</a>. Take care and good luck! angel :)

4. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Let me ask you this: once the backup is done, and then if a probem occurs and the backup is restored, how do I go about cleaning the bad stuff and keeping the necessary stuff.
    Is there an easy way to know what NOT to get rid of?

5. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

Thanks for the FAQ, I'll send him the link. If I have anymore questions I'll post, but thanks.

6. angelize56

You're welcome. I've never had a problem with Ad-aware. I have recently gone over to Spybot though after reading through the forums. The main thing I see others don't like about Ad-aware is it hasn't had any updated reffile in almost 4 months. So I use both. Spybot seemed to come up with many components Ad-aware hadn't caught especially in my registry. Take care. angel :)

7. angelize56

Nocontact: TonyKlein posted a nice site to help with Spybot <a href="http://www.net-integration.net/reviews/spybot1.html"> here</a>. Take care. angel :)

8. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

Whoops, no link there! :)

9. angelize56

It's there now! lol :) angel :)

10. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, all these things really help. Have a good day.:)

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Please DO Not Use Ad-Aware! It can do damage and cause you to lose internet connectivity.

Not only has it not updated recently, but the way it removes certain Spyware can damage your system.

The method used to install some spyware has changed. More Spyware "utilities" have added themselves to the Layered Service provider chain in the winsock2 key. Ad-Aware is removing these Spyware utilities using an old method. They have not updated.
    Therefore if they remove a particular Spyware, (and you may get lucky and not have this one) you will no longer be able to use the Internet.

Plus, because AD-Aware has not updated, they miss many of the newer nasties.

Sad but true, until they release the new version, I would not use Ad-Aware.

12. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  13. angelize56

Mosaic & flavalee: I've switched exclusively to Spybot now that I've read your replies. Glad I mentioned that to Nocontact in my earlier post. I have been using Ad-aware though at the advice of TSG members. I honestly have never had a problem with Ad-aware...but will stop using it now! Thanks for the info. Take care. angel :)

14. Nocontact

Nocontact Thread Starter

Boy how things change. I've been reading so many old post praising Ad-aware and now the tables have turned. Good thing I have Spybot too, but I think it's too late for my poor brother. He deleted some registry entries and now his MS office is on the fritz.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!