1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.. Ad-Aware removed too much .. ?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by agent_c, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agent_c

agent_c Thread Starter

.. hello helpfulls ..

.. was just hoping to find some answers .. or links to.

.. trying to fix a PC that ran Ad-Aware .. and now IE .. Outlook and Kazaa don't work .. they freeze.

.. is this becuase Ad-Aware removed some instances of cydoor and/or client.dll files .. ? I know this is a missing .dll problem.

.. was wondering how people went about fixing this .. I can't find too much info online for this specific problem.

.. thanks.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I would boot to a dos prompt, and type:

scanreg /restore
    and press enter.......

Select the day prior to running adaware......
    that'll put back whatever you deleted.

3. IMM

IMM

4. agent_c

agent_c Thread Starter

.. I use spybot .. but this friend ran ad-aware .. and they don't have a clue on a computer.

.. it's missing some .dll that Kazaa uses .. can I just replace this one file .. or would reinstalling kazaa work ..

.. can't get online on the problem pc.

.. spybot cleans so much more than ad-aware .. I don't understand how people can get so much crap on their machine.

.. thanks some more.

5. IMM

IMM

LSPFix will fit on a floppy.
    Another thought might be a dummy dll - if it's appropriate to this version http://cexx.org/dummies.htm

Try to keep kazaa from trying to start and fixing any Layered Service Provider issues should get you on line tho'.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Did they make a backup when they ran Ad-aware? If so have them do a restore. Ad-aware should not be used any more until they come out with a new version. Use Spybot instead.

7. agent_c

agent_c Thread Starter

.. I agree .. spybot is superior.

.. I doubt they made a b/u ... so I will try the aforementioned solutions.

.. so does IE .. Outlook .. and Kazaa all use the same .dll file .. ??

.. *client.dll .. ?

8. Rogtalbot

Rogtalbot

Exactly the same thing has happened to me.
    One way around it is to reinstall Ad-aware, IE will now work. (I have just this minute done this) Then turn off Ad-aware and down load Spybot. Send an e mail to Ad-aware with a really snotty message that no matter how good they think there program is "HOW DARE THEY ! Request instructions to completely remove all traces of their program. You will have to remove registry entries - I'm not confident enough to do this. So I' turned the blasted thing off!

9. Rogtalbot

Rogtalbot

10. Corrosive

Corrosive

Are you surprised that Kazaa doesn't work? Just remember that removing the spyware that comes with the program is an extremely subtle form of stealing...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice