Ad-Aware SE Personal on a Floppy?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

8dalejr.fan

I want to install Ad-Aware SE Personal (free) on my brother's computer because I'm convinced he has some spyware issues. Unfortunately, he is unable to access any internet sites besides his homepage and sites on his favorites list. If he types in an address or uses the Google Toolbar, the result is always "Page Cannot Be Displayed".

I know it isn't a problem with the internet because his machine is routered with mine and my internet is ok. I've also reset the router properties on his computer but that didn't solve anything. I think something is stopping his internet from working, and in the past, doing spyware scans usually resolves the problem. But he is running Ad-Aware 6, which the most recent definitions are from October of last year.

So what I want to do is install Ad-Aware SE on his computer, but since he can't access the internet, I can't. The only other way I can think of is if I saved the installer .exe on a floppy and then pasted it on his machine and then installed it.

The problem is that the download for Ad-Aware SE is 2.81mb. That is too big to fit on a floppy. I tried to compress it with WinZip but for some reason I couldn't.

Is there any way I could compress the .exe enough to fit on a floppy or is there somewhere where I can get it that is zipped to be under 1.44mb?

I know Hijack This is an awefully small download (couple hundred kb) but Ad-Aware SE is too big. Can anyone hook me up with a small enough download to fit on a floppy disk?

Many thanks!

Mike

8dalejr.fan

Clever, clever. I totally forgot about burning it to a CD. Stupid me! :p

I didn't want to put it on a USB drive because if his computer is still infected with any viruses (it was heavily infected until I ran AVG) I don't want to mess up my machine.

I'll burn it to a CD I guess. Thanks for reminding me that CD-Rs do exist! I haven't made on in a couple months, so I guess the idea totally slipped my mind :D

Now, the question is- what ELSE can I put on that CD to fill the remaining 698mb ;)

You might want to run more than one utility to get rid of some of the other malware on his computer. Some examples may include:
LSPfix
Spy Sweeper
Ewido (Save the current definitions too)
Spybot Search and Destroy (Save the current Definitions too)
Ad-Aware definitions

Basically put anything on that disk that you might need.

8dalejr.fan

He has Spybot S&D on his computer. I tried to update the definitions for it a couple days ago, but halfway through it, the progress bar didn't move any further. :(

I would try LSPFix first, sounds like it might fix the internet problems he's having. If not, run HijackThis, save the log on the floppy, and post it here.

8dalejr.fan

Does LSP-Fix work on Windows 98- that's what he's running. Or should I try one of the other Winstock third party fixers mentioned at the bottom of the page?

LSPFix is fine on W98. Just run it and hit Finish>> if it lists anything in the "remove" column.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online

Members online