1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ad-Aware SE Won't Update

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Orbital75, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Orbital75

Orbital75 Thread Starter

I've notice for about a week now that Ad-Aware SE Free will not update definitions.
    Currently I am using Version 1.06r1 because I didn't feel a need to upgrade to the
    newer 2007 version. I have heard they took some features away with the 2007
    version so I decided just to not upgrade. Have they decided to stop allowing
    definition updates for version 1.06r1 or is something wrong with my Machine.
    Nod32, Spybot, and Defender update just fine....

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'd suspect that they no longer support that old an app. The new engine is much better and more capable at removing difficult malware. Time to update.

3. Rivera42

Rivera42

Shoot! I've only just gotten my hands on SE and now I hear it's not supported. Phooey.
    Has the 2007 version been improved? I have heard in the past that it underwhelms compared to SE. Is this so?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm not betting the farm that support is over. I just suspect it.

I've been using 2007 on Vista since before it was (supposedly) supported and I think it works as well as the earlier version. One thing it annoys me with is that it always finds index.dat entries that it then says it can't remove. But it has been updated 4 or 5 times and I'm sure they will get all the bugs out.

Another thing that really seems to annoy people for reasons I think are unjustified is that even the free version has the aawservice running in the background, even though the free version has no real-time scanning. It uses next to no resources and I think it can be left alone, but turning it to Manual means it will only start when you start the main program.

5. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hi Orbital75. I have just downloaded adaware se from the snapfile site and updated without any problems if you wish follow the link please do so. On a personal note I also prefer adaware se over 2007.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dladaware.html

6. golferbob

golferbob

iam still using ad-aware se and i got a update monday. i had 2007 installed but didn't like it , so i went back to the old se.

7. Orbital75

Orbital75 Thread Starter

Humm..... that's odd then. I'm pretty sure I haven't caught anything.
    I'm running as a Limited User so nothing should be able to install.
    Plus I have a Nod32 running as well. If it is something it must
    not be well know and doesn't have a Def. file written for it.
    NOD32 has some pretty strong Heuristics though.

I'm pretty sure you can download and install a def file manually
    so I think I may look into that. This is just strange and I'm starting
    to suspect something could be going on with my system then.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

9. blueboy9895

blueboy9895

Give it up and install the update version. I had the same problem; updated; things are much better now!!

10. Rivera42

Rivera42

My SE updated just fine this morning.

11. Rivera42

Rivera42

I may not know any better, but is it even possible to update definitions while running as a Limited User? Because that might be the reason you haven't been able to update. Never having used that setting, I can't say for sure, but maybe it's worth looking into.

12. bjohn

bjohn

does this still work? I keep getting an error message after trying to update my definitions that are "36 days old" "error retrieving update" SER210 27.12.2007

13. Rivera42

Rivera42

I've had the same issue since maybe around Christmastime. There haven't been any updates released for SE since then that I know of. Mine too are 36 days old.

14. allheart55

allheart55

Lavasoft no longer supports Ad-Aware SE.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Calamity Jane -January 13, 2008

If you are still using Ad-Aware SE personal and you notice that your program no longer updates it is because the new version of Ad-Aware 2007 is now available.

The SE version has expired effective December 31, 2007 but you can download to the new Ad-Aware 2007 here:
    http://www.lavasoft.com/index.php

If you are a paid user with Plus or Pro please login to the Support Center here:
    http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/index.php

And check for the links on the left hand side to download your license for the upgraded version.

The remainder of the article is..HERE

15. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

SE is still supported. You just have to download the updated definitions manually.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice