1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ad-Aware / Spybot Question

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by xzaktailor, Jan 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xzaktailor

xzaktailor Thread Starter

I do Tech Suport for an ISP. In the last 3 - 4 weeks I've been getting at least 3 calls per day from people who can not browse after running Adaware / Spybot. According to the customers it worked fine after they ran it and then on the next reboot they can not browse. They can ping out and be pinged just fine. Now the catch is that they also can no longer access the Connection Tab on the Inet Options screen. Inet Options freezes and needs to be closed.

Now I'm just trying to figure out if anybody else has seen this problem and might know what program on the computers might be fixing this.

I hate to have to send people to the OEM for a restore. I'd much rather just fix it and be done with it...

2. sekirt

sekirt

I'll give you my Spybot story, maybe something similar is going on with your group.

I updated Spybot Search & Destroy to the latest update (12-31-03). Upon running Spybot, a box came up saying it was going to make a network repair. The box that comes up saying Spybot will repair my network offers no way of refusing the repair. It caused me to have to remove my Sygate firewall in order to connect to the net.

sekirt

3. Rache

Rache Banned

I used to run the 2 together, but had probs, uninstalled Spybot and now there's no probs.

4. xzaktailor

No firewalls installed and if there were we removed them. Went in to MSCONFIG and turned off all non-vitals. Some of the people just ran Spybot, some ran just Ad-Aware and then again some ran both.

The big simalarity is that all were browsing slow before using the said programs and then after scanning and removing with the programs mentioned all was fine untill the next reboot.

5. xzaktailor

So anybody know anything about this?

6. sekirt

sekirt

7. Maggz

Maggz

Hrm.. Also if it removed some malicious spyware it can cause your internet to malfunction. I dont exactly know why ive just read about that happening alot

8. xzaktailor

Yea. I'm getting alot of calls that have ran one of he 2 programs and cat browse after they reboot. I was hoping someone here might know what program is being removed that is causing the no browse issue on it's way out.

9. Flrman1

Flrman1

The only issue that I know of was with improper removal of New.Net. However, that issue was with an older version of Adaware. That problem has been corrected in the latest versions.

See here:

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

10. xzaktailor

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you... Way to many people download a program and never upgrade to new versions. And once they are off the net do to a bug it's to late to upgrade. heh.. Now at least I hae somewhere to point them..

Thanks again

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!