1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ad aware V Spybot

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jampot, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

I have upgraded to the latest version of Ad aware, SE personal, and have also downloaded Spybot. Are the two able to be used together or will they conflict with each other?

Also Spybot appears unable to clear a piece of spyware from my system it is: "retrieve,executable C://windows/Access.exe. Is there a reason for this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jampot

2. K7M

K7M

I run both Ad Aware and S & D. I have never had a conflict with either. what one usually misses the other one catches. As far as why it wont delete the other spyware I can't help you. All I can suggest is to make sure you have all the updates.

3. jbcalg

jbcalg

ditto, use both, no problems

...access,exe
    - that's a bad one, it's a keylogger apparently
    - did you try removing it in safe mode?

here's a link from someone with the same problem, along with some suggestions
    link

good luck

4. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

OK, open Windows Explorer and go to C:\WINDOWS and look for Access.exe. When you find it, delete it. If it will not let you delete it, try booting into Safe Mode and delete it from there (restart your computer and tap F8 as it reboots). Next, open Internet Explorer and go to Tools > Internet Options and click on the General Tab. Delete all your Temporary Internet Files and reboot your computer......

5. hewee

hewee

Run them both also and have spyguard, spyblaster and BHODemon running too.
    Also got WinPatrol Plus that I just won. :D

6. log_splitter

log_splitter

I also use S&D and AdAware (plus Spywareguard, Spywareblaster, Regprot, ZoneAlarm and AVG). The only things I've noticed with S&D (great program, btw) are:

1. I've never been able to update S&D. I was told you can't get updates for the free version

2. The version I have has a glitch in that it keeps finding a "DSO Exploit." I was told by a spyware expert that I can safely ignore it, so I do. Hasn't seemed to cause any problems.

Other than that, it's not uncommon for it to catch something that AdAware misses, or vice-versa (as someone else already posted) so, when I scan, I run both of them. It is also possible that AdAware will catch a folder that Spybot has created (I think it's temp storage for what S&D got rid of), and that one also can be safely ignored.

If I've been told wrong about any of this, I'd appreciate someone letting me know. In any case, I've been using both and have had no problems other than those two I listed.

7. hewee

hewee

8. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have done as you suggested and gone to C:\WINDOWS and looked for Access.exe but it is not there. Someone on the forum said that this might be a key logger which sounds bad. What do you think I should do?

Thanks

Jampot

9. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

telecom69, since my previous post I have searched again and found a file that is a circle with a blue 'e' in the middle, if I hover the cursor over it is shows as 'Access'. Is this the file in question. If it is then the date is 2002 so it has been there for a long time! It is only Spybot that has found it. Is it safe to assume that this is the problem file and to attempt to delete as you suggest?

Thanks

jampot

10. Telstar

Telstar

@ log_splitter,
    Your Spybot is not functional normally.
    You should be able to get Updates for Spybot when they are available.

I would suggest doing a clean uninstall of the version you now have and
    install a fresh (Free) version of 1.3 from.....here

When updating, click on Search for Updates then put a check in
    what is found.
    Be sure to go to the dropdown where it says "Safer Networking #1....." in
    this image and choose a USA location close to you.
    [​IMG]

Once installed go to Help>Tutorial and set yours up then do the
    "Check for Updates" and download what you find.
    After that run the Spybot Scan and delete anything found in "Red".

Telstar :)

11. log_splitter

log_splitter

Thanks, hewee & Telstar for the replies! :) I have added the S&D forum to my links bar, and will do a clean install of S&D. Thanks, too, for the info on how to update. Much appreciated!

12. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

jampot,do this till I find out more about this pest .....

Open Spybot then click on Mode at the top then advanced then settings then ignore products then all products which is extreme left at the top,scroll down the list till you find Retrieve then check the box to its left and run spybot again and you shouldnt see it .....let me know what happens ...

This thing is supposedly a Trojan called retrieve that is causing this .......

13. hewee

hewee

Your welcome

14. mstoumba

mstoumba

Make sure you clean in safe mode

15. jampot

jampot Thread Starter

telecom 69 - sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

As mentioned in a prior posting I have deleted what I think to be the Access file, which I found via windows explorer. I have since run S&D several times and it has not picked it up. It seems almost too easy and yet I presume that this has cured the problem. If this is the case is there any need to follow advice given in your last posting?

Again thanks for your help to date.

Jampot.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/284782

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice